Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sent to the hold and cleared for approach before reaching holding fix

Got this the other day

There was a fair bit of IFR traffic inbound to LFAT. From the NW (EGKA), sent to hold at OKPEM, 5000ft, and at OKPEM (or just before reaching it) cleared for the ILS “via OLMAV, at 3000ft”.

The result was quite funny

One can intercept the LOC via OLMAV at 3000ft and still be below the GS

but I got cleared to 2000ft before the LOC anyway

Any observations by IFR experts?

On topic please.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

cleared for the ILS “via OLMAV, at 3000ft”

does not sound 100% clear to me. Does it just mean a restriction to cross OLMAV at 3000 feet (and then to proceed as published, i.e. descend to 2000 feet after OLMAV), or does it really mean to maintain 3000 feet until reaching the glideslope?

But I would interpret it as the former. Via OLMAV at 3000 feet. No less and no more.

Did you (initially) do the latter?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 May 09:28
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Via OLMAV at 3000 feet. No less and no more.

Seems pretty clear to me. “cleared for he approach” means “do what the plate says”. So you’re cleared to OLMAV at 3000 feet, and thereafter do what the plate says, i.e. get down sharpish to cross TUKVI at 2000.

LFMD, France

Yes, but I would prefer if ATC made it a little more clear, i.e. say “cross OLMAV at 3000” or so. If I understand Peter correctly, he did misunderstand it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t have the audio recorded (my mp3 recorder has gone AWOL so I am having to buy another one) but looking at the GPS altitude data I got cleared to 2000ft before reaching OLMAV, replacing the earlier instruction which I also interpreted as crossing OLMAV at 3000ft.

What I wonder about more is which way one would be expected to turn at OKPEM (left or right) to get to OLMAV. I turned right. But a left turn would have been better because it positions you better for the track to TUKVI.

“Cleared for the ILS” is an authorisation to descend to the platform anyway, 2000ft.

Administrator

Via OLMAV at 3000 feet. No less and no more.

Is correct. But all the IAFs being at 2K, I sure would have queried the altitude restriction, or proactively requested a descent to 2K.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’d say it’s pretty clear: flying to OLMAV at no lower than 3000 ft i.e. descending if above and after OLMAV expecting descending according to the plate.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

ATC do sometimes get you to intercept the LOC above the platform. I think I have had that at EDNY.

Administrator

What I wonder about more is which way one would be expected to turn at OKPEM (left or right) to get to OLMAV.

I would have flown once round the hold with a teardrop entry at OKPEM. But that’s just me.

LFMD, France

which way one would be expected to turn at OKPEM

Right turn was correct. You are supposed to stay within the protected area. But you should/could have overflown OKPEM before continuing to OLNAV, unless your Rnav gives you these kind of shortcuts (speed?).

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message