Is TUKVI an IAF or not?

The KLN94 offers only

OLMAV
OSDIT
Vectors

I selected Vectors; no problem. Then select DCT TUKVI

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Always filed – and requested – TUKVI as an IAF when going to LFAT on an IFR plan.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

It’s IAF (and also IF) but only available with TWR ATC and some French ATC & UK ATC coordination for bizzare reasons: it’s an en-route waypoint (not aerodrome waypoint) that is apparently “owned” by CAA/NATS and/or DGAC/SNA not the airport

Why it’s not on KLN? I have no idea…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Mar 22:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

FYI the Garmin GTN trainer / simulator has TUKVI as an IAF.

ELLX

Foreflight also offers the point as IAF:

Germany

OLMAV OSDIT Vectors I selected Vectors; no problem. Then select DCT TUKVI

Looking again, I am more puzzled OKPEN IAF is not listed? especially, as it’s IAF+HOLD

Also, does KLN delete points from approach when you do “Vectors”

In Garmin, “Vectors-To-Final” VTF tend to delete all points except IF, FAF, MAPt. So one can’t do DCT to other points, in this case it works as TUKVI is an IF on extended final…sometimes VTF delete IF if IF-FAF leg differs from extended FAF-MAPT leg (say RNP04 in LFOP), thé. doing direct FAF or MAPt/RWY will toast approach and missed

The right way to do it is to press direct one of IAF and activate the leg XXXXX-FAF

PS: ILS and RNP at L2K has some funky non-standard stuff,

• OCH < 200ft but DH > 250ft, I learned because it’s not CAT-I instrument runway now (it’s classed as non-precision runway now)
  • RNP13/31 don’t have GPS TAA for each IAF unlike any RNP in France, rather they rely on MSA 25nm circle around airport ARP like conventional approach
  • ILS13 require RNAV1 GPS when NDB was removed, however, it also require DME: as it needs MSA 25nm circle (no RNAV1 TAA) and DME is also required for glidepath, as it gets penetrated on short final by La Dingue (they removed touchdown zone and why there is crosswind limit for IFR, a typo in drafting put that on VFR as well)
  • TUKVI is in UK airspace, so L2K ATC can’t offer direct there without handover from London ATC/FIS, the hold was moved over Etaples
Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Mar 09:27

L2K ATC can’t offer direct there without handover from London ATC/FIS

They can and do. (Lille).

FIS?? Handover from London Info?

References please.

FYI the Garmin GTN trainer / simulator has TUKVI as an IAF.

Looks like a cockup in the Jepp data, but why in a KLN94 and not a GNS?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In KLN, are they called “transition”? or “IAF”?

It could be something in database that relates to legacy INA/STAR arrivals? or unsupported legs? any GPS should support TF legs (track to fix: with distance, magnetic/true tracks) but I don’t see one coded to TUKVI INA/IAF in FAS data-block, the transitions associated with legs like Initial-Fix, Course-To-Fix, Procedural Turns are usually missing in old navigators, the new navigators like GTN, tend to backfill distance/track data for IF, CF, PT legs on-the-fly

OKPEM IAF has everything coded in RNP database for both IAF and HOLD, yet did not show up in your KLN list, so I don’t get it

What about ILS13, does it have TUKVI as IAF?

They can and do. (Lille)… References please.

It’s LFAT tower ATC who can’t give direct TUKVI for RNP, they can give direct to all others, Lille ATC and London ATC do give direct TUKVI

I don’t have any references but it’s written in plates and sits in London FIR

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Mar 13:06

I don’t see why requiring special clearance would be a reason to exclude it from the database (in the KLN94). From the French AIP database coding table it certainly looks like it should be included.

URL: here

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

I don’t see why requiring special clearance would be a reason to exclude it from the database (in the KLN94)

Yes TUKVI clearance is unrelated to why KLN does not have it

The way how some RNP/IAF are represented in plates or coded in database is odd, this is probably why some IAF are missing in some navigators?

Some countries (France, Germany), do not code separate RNP tables for each IAF (or transition, arrival) or do not label IAF in their RNP table remarks, everything goes in one single RNP table, I think Jepps will try to decouple them for use in GPS database, then depending on navigator some IAF go missing (especially those without TF segment)

Other countries (UK, Belgium), will have 1×RNP coding table for each 1×IAF in plate, I guess this is the cleanest way to do it I just noticed that Lydd, Shoreham have 3 runways center, left, right that match each of those T-IAFs or Y-IAFs

Seems that some NAA love creating jobs for Jeppsen & Garmin (France did lot of this with separate STAR, INA, FNA plates, NFW one can fly ILS to Toussus with 3 pages of AIP plate )

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Mar 14:48
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message