Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Vacuum failure and loss of control in retractables - what is the relationship ?

Ibra wrote:

What happens when someone departs with pitot covered in say DA40 with G1000 in low IMC?

“-Ts & Ps in the green. Airspeed alive… NOT!
- G-ABCD stopping.”

EGTR

Of course one should not takeoff with PT cover and it’s easy to spot, I was referring to understanding how ASI failure will spillover to other failures in glass-cockpits? in steam-cockpit you cover ASI when it’s clogged

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There are certainly “glass” avionics which become completely useless if you lose airspeed data – a bit like AF447.

I know some of these vulnerabilities have been addressed (Aspen?) but how many are flying with older systems?

I am happy that if my TB20 loses airspeed data, everything (autopilot included) continues to work perfectly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Partial is pitot static ADC and limited, what people practice on IR, is gyro/AHRS

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

just fly 80kts-100kts speed range and keep wing level

Thats a good suggestion. Slowing down and/or lowering gear is going into my operating procedure for gyro/AHRS failure scenario.

Vref wrote:

This video explains it well..more slippery airframe ….Lowering the gear in a V tail makes it much more stable much more drag and less chance to overspeed in case of LOC

Interesting backup recommendation in that video @ 15:21 when vacuum pumps not available:

• Tablet with Simulated Panel ( I am thinking A-EFIS on iPad ? )
  • Electrical Backup Instruments ( I presume an additional electric AI ? )

With an Aspen MAX (2 screen) install, I am seriously condsidering getting rid of vacuum (I have two of those in the Commander). Maybe a standby alternator should be on my shopping list ?

Peter wrote:

I have a collection of failed Aspen EFD1000 photos displaying a large cross, in solid IMC, which was not amusing to the pilot, but it was very obvious that he has just been deprived of his primary attitude instrument!

I believe the earlier failure modes seen with the Aspens are no longer, as GPS derived data is now substituted for Air Data when pitot fails. Is there anything else you can share to help make an informed decision ?

Last Edited by flyingelephant at 22 Mar 13:13
United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message