Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are French automated (software-generated) TAFs working?

I often see this kind of stuff

LFAT 150700Z AUTO VRB02KT CAVOK 03/02 Q1017 NOSIG
LFAT 150500Z 1506/1515 34010KT 9999 BKN020

Well, I am assuming the METAR is right but that may be automated too

Reportedly France is using software for TAFs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not aware of automated forecast TAF, how does that work? my impression it’s issued by MET qualified person for places like LeTouquet or Rouen…if there is no MET qualified person around, all you get is an AUTO METAR, see Calais for example

Actual AUTO METAR, there are plenty that are automated: StBrieuc, Lanion…worth mentioning that ATIS is available by phone, which is more accurate than METAR for short flights

When TWR are not around or no ATIS broadcasting, the approach ATC will have access to live raw STAP feeds, you can ask Lille to give you last weather observation from sensors even for places like Ouessant with no METAR, no ATIS, no AFIS

Reportedly France is using software for TAFs

Even if it’s true, you still need someone to run .exe command

LFFA C0114/23 NOTAMN
Q) LFFF/FMLT/IV/BO/A/000/999/4923N00111E
A) LFOP
B) 2301161700 C) 2301211700
D) 16 1700-0500, 20 21 0500-1700
E) AERONAUTICAL ASSISTANCE LIMITED: NO TAF AVBL (STAFF SHORTAGE).

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 10:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I often see this kind of stuff

LFAT 150700Z AUTO VRB02KT CAVOK 03/02 Q1017 NOSIG
LFAT 150500Z 1506/1515 34010KT 9999 BKN020

Well, I am assuming the METAR is right but that may be automated too

Reportedly France is using software for TAFs.

The TAF may very well have been correct at the time of issue, which was two hours before the observation. If the weather develops differently in the way the METAR suggests, there is no requirement to issue an amended TAF. The amendment criteria för TAFs ignore what’s happening above 1500 ft.

The next TAF indeed says CAVOK:

LFAT 150800Z 1509/1518 14007KT CAVOK BECMG 1510/1512 20010KT

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The amendment criteria för TAFs ignore what’s happening above 1500 ft

Interesting, I have not looked in details into those weather thresholds/buckets when it comes to updates, same for visibility dropping from 100km to 5000, this gets ignored…I always assuming things gets updated regularely in TAF with new observations

How does those TAF buckets work for granular operational/aerodrome minima?

• 2000ft ceiling is now required for planning non-IFP airport as alternate but you know that an amended TAF will ignore anything above 1500ft
  • 400m and 550m visibility looks odd as TAF changes will ignore anything outside 300m-600m bucket

One can fly private IFR without METAR/TAF by simply using data from Windy website, however, if one has published TAF they have to comply with it during planning (add extra litres of fuel to make good alternate even if destination forcast is c***p)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 11:12

Who has to comply?

Interesting criteria for amendment…

Administrator

The pilot has to comply, if destination TAF < MIN you need two alternates even when TAF is c**p (not been amended)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 12:37

Ibra wrote:

2000ft ceiling is now required for planning non-IFP airport as alternate but you know that an amended TAF will ignore anything above 1500ft

An amended TAF, yes. But not the initially issued TAF. In any case, if the airport is non-IFP, it is unlikely that it has a TAF to begin with.

The pilot has to comply, if destination TAF < MIN you need two alternates even when TAF is c**p (not been amended)

Where do you find that rule?

Where do you find that rule?

My bad, brain farted and I got CAT & NCO mixed up

In any case, if the airport is non-IFP, it is unlikely that it has a TAF to begin with.

Even in NCO, don’t you have to select at least one airport (destination or alternate) with TAF available and TAF > MIN? say you are going IFR to some strip (no TAF) with alternate being another strip (no TAF), Windy weather looks ok, can you dispatch? I was taught you still need to make 3rd airport with TAF and TAF > MIN

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Mar 16:17

Ibra wrote:

Even in NCO, don’t you have to select at least one airport (destination or alternate) with TAF available and TAF > MIN? say you are going IFR to some strip (no TAF) with alternate being another strip (no TAF), Windy weather looks ok, can you dispatch?

Part-NCO only talks about “current meteorological information” – no mention of TAFs specifically. (Except that there is an AMC to NCO.OP.160 on how change groups in TAFs affect planning in case you do use TAFs.)

I was taught you still need to make 3rd airport with TAF and TAF > MIN

That makes sense and may well be the rule for part-CAT. For part-NCO I can’t find any requirement on having more than one alternate (given that the WX for the one alternate is forecast to be good enough).

Commercial is a totally different thing.

In any case, if the airport is non-IFP, it is unlikely that it has a TAF to begin with

Is the above really right? I don’t think so.

I would not expect to see a TAF unless there is a METAR, for any airport.

Re French TAFs being software generated, that came out years ago and there were various complaints about it (from French pilots, so that’s allowed ).

Administrator
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message