Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Landing a plane in 27m

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice stunt. Would be interesting to know if the attempts were directly/successively (only 3, or more over multiple days)?

Edit: Ok, this was a mega project.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/projects/bullseye-landing

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Mar 17:10
always learning
LO__, Austria

27 m is what I do for breakfast in the Savannah (with VGs) Well, soon, have to practice a bit more… Take off in 27m is easy, landing a bit more difficult I agree, cool stunt, but looks way more spectacular than it actually is. His (direct) take off with the dive, an Immelmann and directly into and a knife edge was way more spectacular (and difficult) than the landing IMO

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

His (direct) take off with the dive, an Immelmann and directly into and a knife edge was way more spectacular (and difficult) than the landing IMO

Yes, that was some nice flying!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Mmmh… another stupid stunt
Still, I’m sure it wasn’t that easy, judging one’s height above the platform with little peripheral reference (unless some kind of guidance system was used…), then land without entangling the TW. Well done. But still stupid.

What next?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Landing backwards?

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

This is cool, no one harmed, may be even entertaining. So it’s like a commercial for GA, but seemingly without negative effect. Appreciated by my side :-)

Germany

Still, I’m sure it wasn’t that easy, judging one’s height above the platform with little peripheral reference (unless some kind of guidance system was used…)

There are videos of his failed practice attempts (you have to see the look on his face when he falls after bouncing)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

(you have to see the look on his face when he falls after bouncing)

Actually he stalled the left wing on that attempt, look at ailerons down. Good reaction to not retract the flaps at this moment.

LFMD, France

Mike Patey’s video here shows how they modified the plane for the stunt. Really impressive and ingenious, from using titanium wherever they could, to relocating and modifying the fuel tanks, giving it some nitro for extra power and adding a skid pad to prevent tail damage if they hit the edge of the helipad.

From the outside it looks like just another RedBull crazy stunt, but they put a lot of thought and effort in the process to make sure it goes well.

Last Edited by andy_flyer at 15 Mar 13:04
LSZF,LSZK, Switzerland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message