Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video on uncontrolled IFR in Sweden

You asked for more – here is more!

This time, it’s about uncontrolled IFR in Sweden and a windy landing.
Thanks @Airborne_Again for your write-up about IFR in Sweden, I‘ve mentioned it in the video.

EDFM, Germany

dkbe wrote:

his time, it’s about uncontrolled IFR in Sweden and a windy landing.
Thanks @Airborne_Again for your write-up about IFR in Sweden, I‘ve mentioned it in the video.

Thanks for the nice video!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder how many countries have this – apart from Sweden and UK ?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Tricky question, do you mean where it is legally possible or where it is actually done?

When I read correct, please correct if I am wrong, it should already be possible in all of EASA, except Germany and even there it is questionable whether the blockage of authorities would hold against a law suit?

Germany

It is “actually done” everywhere

Administrator

dkbe wrote:

You asked for more – here is more!

This time, it’s about uncontrolled IFR in Sweden and a windy landing.

Right, so Sweeden doesn’t have the “$100 burger runs” but “100Euro meatballs runs” :).
Thanks for the video!

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Right, so Sweeden doesn’t have the “$100 burger runs” but “100Euro meatballs runs” :).

A real nice video and an inspiration to think on leaving comfort zones !

Btw, my last meatballs menu at Meatballs for the People in Stockholm was more 50 EUROish, including ‘beer for dog’ and – Always keep in mind when flying: the disadvantage of Köttbullar to Burger is – Köttbullar are not turbulence-proof, they roll like hell :-) and No, glueing with sticky gravy is a bad idea and equally such bad gravy.

Ok, back to being serious, ish.

Germany

Peter wrote:

Uncontrolled IFR in class G? France has, hasn’t it? Norway and Finland. IFAIK Denmark, too.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It is amazing to see that the aircraft did not explode midair despite you taking off from an unmanned airport and you flew IFR in Golf airspace. This would probably be worth letting the LBA know. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

I believe Germany has no IMC below the MRVA – see e.g. here (and many other threads). This is guaranteed by a special version of atmospheric physics in Germany.

Back to the subject, it is one thing to be able to legally fly in IMC (and thus IFR) in Class G, but another thing is to get a Eurocontrol-style service doing it. By that I mean specifically

1. validation of IFR flight plan
  2. departure clearance with an assurance of entering CAS
  3. continuous ATC service with a 100% assurance of not getting into trouble (re both civilian and military prohibited airspace)
  4. assurance of being able to fly an IAP
  5. the ability to use the ICAO lost comms procedure

EASA may have enforced the legality of IFR in G but how much of the above do you actually get? In the UK, you get none (assured). I would bet that in most of Europe you don’t get 3 and 6.

Administrator
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message