Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA 61.75 piggyback - how does it work with UK CAA IR?

So I currently have a CAA PPL and IR(R) which I can use to fly IFR in the UK only. I am planning to do CB-IR in the future (hopefully sometime this year). I am thinking of buying an N registered aircraft and I am wondering how does it all work with the FAA piggyback license now. If I get a piggyback now I guess it will end up being a simple PPL piggyback (since IR(R) is not an ICAO license). But when I add CBIR does that automatically transfer to the piggyback?

What do I actually need to do to get the piggyback? I heard there is a chap in the UK (Adam House) who can help me get it.

Is it worth getting a piggyback? Alternatively I could dereg the aircraft and put it onto the G-reg.

United Kingdom

I would definitely get a FAA 61.75 regardless: it’s a one off job, valid for life, which just needs a biennual to reactivate. Details on the conversion are on the FAA website; just work through the steps. I did it twice (JAA then EASA) and don’t remember any issues.

The IR(R) is sub-ICAO so isn’t recognised outside the UK. To add a ‘full’ foreign IR to the 61.75 you need to do a theory exam on top; @DavidC did it in 2014 here.

Changing from N- to G- is only for extreme masochists

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Changing from N- to G- is only for extreme masochists

Haha. I see. Don’t have a huge amount of experience, why is it more masochistic to be on G-reg? At first glance it seems less hassle than having another license that needs to be reactivated every 2 years.

United Kingdom

The FAA allows an N-reg to be flown (outside the US) on papers issued by the country which owns the airspace, this means a 61.75 PPL will allow you to fly it VFR worldwide, but the UK issued IR will be valid for it (IFR in all airspace classes) only in the UK. So to fly IFR outside the UK you will need to get an FAA IR. Two routes for that: the FAA Foreign Pilot Exam, and a full FAA IR and an IR checkride.

The FP exam cannot be done outside the US anymore, and doing the FAA IR currently can’t be either. Here and here.

There are significant advantages in being N-reg in maintenance flexibility but only if you have the right facilities available (an FAA A&P/IA). It’s a big topic… I suggest a search. Not many people are going N-reg today.

There is no downside to having a 61.75. It’s actually better than a standalone FAA PPL or CPL because you can fly with a local medical; you don’t need an FAA medical. I have an FAA CPL/IR so need to run two medicals.

If you live in the UK you need dual papers, since Dec 2022 – here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Parthurnax wrote:

So I currently have a CAA PPL and IR(R) which I can use to fly IFR in the UK only. I am planning to do CB-IR in the future (hopefully sometime this year). I am thinking of buying an N registered aircraft and I am wondering how does it all work with the FAA piggyback license now. If I get a piggyback now I guess it will end up being a simple PPL piggyback (since IR(R) is not an ICAO license). But when I add CBIR does that automatically transfer to the piggyback?

I think you can get a piggy-back 61.75 fairly easily. After you get your CB-IR you should be able to do either a full IR or piggy-back IR on FAA license. Challenge is that you can only pass any FAA IR theory in the US now – all the reasonable options outside the US has been closed.

AFAIK if you want to fly an N-reg outside the UK for your UK-based a/c, you either need an FAA license or the license of the country you want to fly in – UK PPL is not valid for an N-reg outside the UK.

EGTR

Thanks @Peter that’s super helpful!

United Kingdom

On any registry change, the new NAA will look closely at the aeroplane and logbooks. They may will discover work or components which are to a different standard, or undocumented, or incorrect. This is probably innocent, but there’s likely to be significant cost and frustration to justify or correct the issues. Unfortunately some believe that FAA ‘easy maintenance’ equals ‘inferior maintenance’ so an N-reg will attract more attention. I don’t have first-hand experience – maybe someone has more information and advice on the process? Anyway, my point is that a pilot can have multiple licences, but the aircraft can only have one state of registry. Take the easy route

Peter, thank you for the clarification. I now remember Ibra saying he has both UK and EASA IRs for flying France-UK.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Just bear in mind that there is one disadvantage to the 61.75 certificate.

That is that it can become invalid fairly easily.

I had one, it was made of cardboard, and they decided to change it to plastic, so mine became invalid.

I later got the plastic one, and then they brought in English Language proficiency, which wasn’t shown on mine. That too then became invalid.

I haven’t since got another one, but the change in number from my JAA to EASA licence (letters changed rather than numbers) might have also made it invalid.

These things (apart from licence change number) tend to be well flagged in advance and you have time to replace it, but it does have to be done and you have to stay informed rather than the FAA writing to you to tell you that it’s no longer valid.

On the other hand, you don’t have to do a skills test to get it and you don’t have to keep an FAA medical current.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

re a VFR based-on, or piggyback FAA licence… I’ve just been in contact with the FAA regarding the reactivation of a based-on licence I lost, and below an extract of their response, received 2 days ago, which might also apply to your case:
Our office has recently implemented a new process allowing you to complete the “Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License and Medical Certification, 8060-71 application electronically through the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA). To access IACRA and register for an account, please click on the https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx. You will also find some helpful information navigating through the IACRA process by clicking on New to IACRA? Please read the New User Guide located on the IACRA web page.

Having registered with IACRA, you will have to meet some rep at an FSDO, which are all located on US soil…

But there seem to be an FSDO officer paying a visit to different EU countries, including your island, once a year or so. The system seems to be organised by appointment thru the respective AOPA only. Anybody current on the details?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I recently got the FAA piggyback with IR on a trip to the states. The process is fairly easy – in summary:

1. Online form to CAA for licence verification

2. Online form to FAA to request verification letter through IACRA system submitted at same time as form to CAA.

3. Arrange meeting with DPE in states (might be possible to find one willing to do this over zoom). I believe the two DPEs in UK are currently unable to process piggyback licences.

4. Book instrument foreign Pilot written exam through PSI website (can only be done in states)

5. Travel to states, take exam

6. Fill out an application for licence on IACRA (liaise with your chosen DPE)

7. Take the exam pass, licence logbook and medical to the DPE, pay a fee for their services and they will issue you with a temporary certificate valid for 120 days.

8. Have 1hr Flight Review signed off by an FAA instructor (necessary to make licence valid). This can be done in the UK.

If you only want VFR privileges then you might be able to do the whole process from UK if you can find a DPE willing to do it over zoom (I’m not sure they are supposed to do that now post covid).

If you get the piggyback before you have a foreign IR and want to add that later then this can be done but you have to go through the verification and DPE process again to add the instrument rating onto the licence. Same if you want to subsequently add MEP privileges.

Hope that summary is helpful.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message