Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Military restricted areas along Hungarian borders with Croatia, Serbia, Romania

Is there anyone from Hungary on the forum or perhaps someone who regularly flies in the area who knows what these are all about?

There are temporary restricted areas all along the Hungarian border as mentioned, either GND-1500 or GND-5500 feet. The reference is to military and unmanned aircraft operations. Is there a special Hungarian military effort underway to monitor and protect against illegal immigration? Croatia is now part of Schengen so there should be no immigration checks along that border anymore.

The NOTAMs are currently valid until Feb 10, but the concern is whether they’ll be extended through the summer flying season.

There is also a Hungarian NOTAM of course about the Ukraine, but it doesn’t seem to impact flights within Hungary, only the Ukraine FIRs.

The general question is whether GA flight within Hungary is being affected by the war and if so how? Hoping to fly to Hungary & western Romania this summer.

Last Edited by chflyer at 05 Feb 13:12
LSZK, Switzerland

Hi Chflyer,
Yes it is impacting. I mostly fly west of the Danube, so I am not familiar with the impact on the east of the country.
Don’t worry about the TRA’s along the border, they are low level for unmanned aerial survaillance aircrafts.
What is more difficult is the more frequent excercises rendering sections of the airspace unusable. For example in the summer there were days when from LHFM to go to LHSK you had to go through LHPR then south somewhere around Tatabánya. As I have observed, these excercises were south of lake Balaton.
But everything is announced in time, so one can prepare.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message