Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Change to TMZ in Germany w/e 23.03.2023

Was preparing a flight plan this morning and noted that there will be a change in the way Germany handles TMZ with effect 23.03.2023.

In the past, if you were flying through a TMZ whilst on the FIS frequency, you could stay there. With this new rule, you will be required to leave the FIS frequency, squawk the required code and tune in to the indicated radar frequency….

Seems strange to me because being on a FIS frequency in Germany, you would typically have your transponder transmitting a code which identified which FIS frequency you were in contact with, meaning if the local radar unit wanted to contact you, they could reach out via the FIS controller. As a result of this, I can imagine a lot of people leaving & joining FIS due to their routing transiting through a TMZ thus using what is, on a sunny weekend, a limited resource – radio.

Anyone know why this has changed?

EDL*, Germany

Was it mandatory to talk to FIS in TMZ?

Was it treated like RMZ+TMZ (mandatory radio and/or transponder) while it seems now they are treating TMZ as TMZ+FMC (mandatory listen plus transponder)

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jan 08:10
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Disclaimer, the following is only the result of humble guesswork
Well, one explanation might be that, AFAIK, the TMZ is being manned by an ATCO, in opposition to the FIS. An ATCO is de facto authorised to give you air traffic instructions, a FIS only suggestions or warnings.
Another reason might be a direct, and therefore quicker, link to the aircraft in question iso of relayed any messaging thru the FIS.

Another example, I sometimes fly around (typical example: Bodenseerunde) with no FIS contact, but then set the required frequency and squawk approaching a TMZ (EDNY for example).

Steve6443 wrote:

I can imagine a lot of people leaving & joining FIS

Yep, that is bound to happen on a sunny weekend and hopefully one will still be able to enjoy their not yet mandatory services.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

Was it mandatory to talk to FIS in TMZ?

No it wasn’t. You would just squawk the depicted RADAR code and listen. Normally you would ask FIS when on their frequency if you could stay with them (was often the
case) or switch over to the RADAR frequency with the appropriate squawk. As I see it nothing changes.

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

No it wasn’t. You would just squawk the depicted RADAR code and listen. Normally you would ask FIS when on their frequency if you could stay with them (was often the
case) or switch over to the RADAR frequency with the appropriate squawk. As I see it nothing changes.

Still a bit wierd – for a UK pilot changing your radio frequency feels more like an RMZ (or a listenning squawk).
Pure TMZ should be just “you must have your mode-S operating in alt-encoding”.

EGTR

I think that the idea is just to enable RADAR to contact you for traffic advice. The squawk alone won’t help in that regard.

EDLE

Still a bit wierd – for a UK pilot changing your radio frequency feels more like an RMZ (or a listenning squawk).Pure TMZ should be just “you must have your mode-S operating in alt-encoding”

If you are allowed an analogy, the UK equivalent would be the “Echo+”, it did not see the light in Oxford and Farnbrough airspace proposals, that was Echo+ TMZ + FMC + IDENT +/- (RMZ+EC)

In Garmany, it’s more like “mandatory FMC” (listening squawk with RADAR ATC)

PS: Stansted TMZ, if you don’t have ModeS and flying with ModeC only, then it’s TMZ+RMZ: you still need to call FIS or AG for ident

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jan 08:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Dan wrote:

An ATCO is de facto authorised to give you air traffic instructions, a FIS only suggestions or warnings.

That depends on what you mean. If I understand correctly, ATC in the US can give instructions to anyone they are in radio contact with and such instructions must be followed. That is not the case in Europe. In a TMZ ATC can give instructions regarding surveillance (e.g. transponder code setting) and in an RMZ they can give instructions regarding communication (e.g. frequency) but they can not give instructions as to track or level unless the flight actually must have a clearance. Advise, certainly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Several years ago I was part of the EAD as a contractor involved in harmonising this on ECAC level in the AIPs to be coded in AIXM. TMZ/RMZ just indicates you need a serviceable transponder and or radio to enter the zone. You can have a TMZ or RMZ separately or together…. The logic behind was that the ICAO airspace classification was not covering the specific situations in Europe….With the development implementation of remote towers this has enables a more flexible use of the zones during hours of operation.. RMZ/TMZ time limited etc..

EBST

Airborne_Again wrote:

That depends on what you mean

Well, I meant what I wrote… there are Licensed Air Traffic Controller, or ATCOs. Those man controlled airspace chunks as in CTR, TMA, and yes TMZ, plus the ones I missed.
And then there are the others, whatever they are locally named, advising users of non-controlled airspace such as RMZ, ATZ, and uncontrolled airspace in FIRs.

Steve6443 wrote:

Anyone know why this has changed?

Answers, anybody?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
61 Posts
Sign in to add your message