Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Dogs

I contacted DEFRA asking clearly for the rules for both flying to France/Ireland and returning. I chose those two countries because, as we are aware, Republic of Ireland has different rules.

Here’s the response in full.

Good morning,

Thank you for your enquiry. We cannot confirm whether you can enter the EU on a private vessel/aircraft, you will need to speak with the competent authorities of the Eu member state you wish to enter however, please note that your dog cannot re-enter the UK on a private aircraft and must enter the UK by use of an Approved route. Please see the information below.

If you have any further questions regarding pet travel, please get in touch.

Private Vessels – Boats and Aircraft

Only transport companies that have been approved by Defra may be used to bring dogs, cats and ferrets into Great Britain under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS). These animals must also travel on an authorised route.
Animals may not be imported into Great Britain on private boats or aircraft, unless traveling from Ireland. Pets can only come into the UK on a private boat or plane if you’re travelling from Ireland.
For the latest information on approved transport companies and routes, please visit the PETS website at https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/approved-routes or ring the PETS Helpline on 03702 411710 (open Monday to Friday – 08.30 to 17:00 UK time). Please note that route lists shown on the PETS website are regularly updated and you should check before you book that you have the latest list.

Private vessels – Channel Islands
I can confirm that there is free movement for animals travelling within the UK, including the Channel Islands. Therefore, you will not require any documentation in order to transport your pet under the Pet Travel Scheme. I would, however, suggest that you contact your chosen carrier to check whether they have any further requirements as often a health certificate is requested in order to transport your animal, this documentation is not part of the Pet Travel Scheme.
Please be advised that whilst there is free movement between the UK and the Channel Islands, it is prohibited to bring a pet into Great Britain on a private boat from another country. We therefore advise that you may wish to keep a ship’s log, noting which ports you have entered in order to avoid problems with port officials on re-entry to Great Britain.
If you were to encounter problems whilst out at sea and, for example, had to make an emergency stop in a French port for repairs, your dog would require quarantine on re-entry to Great Britain. We therefore recommend you have your dog prepared under the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) to avoid such risks.

Refuelling, private aircraft.
Please be advised that while it should be possible for a private aircraft to land for refuelling in Great Britain (subject to the airports agreement) any dog or cat travelling on said aircraft will not under any circumstances be allowed off the vehicle.
If the dog in question was to disembark from the aircraft, this would be deemed an illegal landing and would be licensed into quarantine by the Local Trading Standards.
Not Landed
Pets that are not intended to be landed can be brought to the UK on board private boats. However, they must inform the Port health Authority/Harbourmaster and these animals must at all times be restrained and kept securely confined within a totally enclosed part of the boat from which it cannot escape. If an animal is lost from a vessel in port, the Master of the vessel is required to report the loss to an Animal Health Inspector, the police or an officer of Customs and Excise.

Private individual requesting approval
Unfortunately it is not possible for a private individual to become an authorised pet carrier as the Non Commercial Movement of Pet Animals Order Art 2 defines “carrier” and Art 11 defines “approval of carriers” which effectively refers to “carrying goods or passengers for hire by land sea or air “.
The manner in which official controls are conducted, such as those required to be undertaken by authorised carriers, is regulated by retained EU community law and National law which states that these controls must be conducted with objectivity and impartiality; criteria which cannot be met by an individual checking their own pet.

Travel around the UK
Pets may sail around the UK on a private boat after first entering on an approved route. We suggest that you obtain proof of the pet checks when you bring the dog over on the ferry and keep this with you during your travels. It would also be best to keep a log of places you have visited in the UK

Private Vessels – Via ROI or NI before entry into GB
Pets should be compliant with our entry requirements. Therefore, all the usual documentation and health checks apply, so you will need to be able to show that the pet was checked for compliance in the ROI/NI. Otherwise, it would be treated as an illegal landing from third country when entering GB or maybe even unknown origin if there was no paper trail available. This is because pets can only enter via private aircraft/boats if they are arriving from Ireland.
Please also be aware that we no longer accept the same paperwork as the ROI or NI so you may need to get further documentation from Ireland.
You must ensure that you can comply with the Irish requirements for travel to Ireland. ROI: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/21d40-pet-travel/?referrer=http://www.gov.ie/en/service/28ae66-pet-travel/#bringing-your-pet-dog-cat-or-ferret-into-ireland-by-private-transport-aircraftyacht NI: https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/travelling-pets

Kind Regards
Vicki Benson
Administrative Officer
Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)
Helpline Telephone Number 03000 200 301
Email: Website: www.gov.uk/apha | Twitter: @APHAgovuk | Facebook: aphagov
Address: Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

So, from the email, my understanding is that:

1. Flying to the EU (ROI excluded) is down to the destination country
  2. It’s legal to fly our dogs privately to and from ROI
  3. We cannot fly our dogs privately from an EU country back to the UK (except via ROI)
Last Edited by Fernando at 19 Feb 14:26
EGSU, United Kingdom

@peter thank you! I’ve heard something similar at Cambridge airport. I’m in the process of getting this in black and white and will share my findings.

EGSU, United Kingdom

@fernando this may be of help.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m aware that in the US, there are particular rules (“the pet must be at least eight weeks old, be fully weaned and be in good health”)

If it isn’t already clear from @NCYankee‘s post, the intent here is to prevent customers from importing puppies ordered from commercial breeders overseas before they are fit to travel on CAT.

Why anybody would do that is another question.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Nov 16:30

Fernando wrote:

Let’s use the car example – when taking my dog to France, for example, I need my vet to produce 16 pages of paperwork, pay £150 for it and give some tablets to my dog. I have to do this each time I want to take my dog away.

My observation was pre-Brexit, there was no vet involved, the only issues were 1000£ of fuel in your aircraft to go via Ireland/NI or paying for an AOC to take it via Biggin or Farnbrough

I was not aware you need lot of paperwork in addition to ‘approved air routes’

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 14:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I think you can fly one day trip and back?

Until he gets caught and then the dog will end up confiscated and chucked into a quarantine establishment for some months. There is one such around the corner from here, with lots of security…

Better to do this legally. This issue has a high political visibility.

I don’t understand how your friend got away with it

Maybe it was just a boast, or many years ago. There was no interest in the GAR form either, before c. 2008. Lots of people claim lots of things.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

There are no FAA rules in the US regarding flying of pets. The USDA regulates carriage of animals on air-carriers that you cite but this does not apply to general aviation. It is a good recommendation, however.

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I don’t think his dog is subject to 4 months quarantine?

Let’s use the car example – when taking my dog to France, for example, I need my vet to produce 16 pages of paperwork, pay £150 for it and give some tablets to my dog. I have to do this each time I want to take my dog away.

But it isn’t all… on my way back (if that happens +4 days since I left the UK), I need to take my dog to a french vet so she can get more deworming tablets.

The paperwork is checked at the border at the Eurotunnel terminal in the UK and in France.

Before Brexit, you only needed a pet passport. So, I don’t understand how your friend got away with it :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

I’m aware that in the US, there are particular rules (“the pet must be at least eight weeks old, be fully weaned and be in good health.”

There are no FAA rules in the US regarding flying of pets. The USDA regulates carriage of animals on air-carriers that you cite but this does not apply to general aviation. It is a good recommendation, however.

KUZA, United States

Fernando wrote:

It’s hard to accept that we don’t have a viable way to fly with our dogs to the continent.

If the dog is from UK, I think you can fly one day trip and back?

We had a hangar neighbor who flew one day trips to Deuaville/LeToquet with his ‘UK dog’, I think he had an old letter from UKBF or DEFRA that says it’s ok in his situation and I don’t think anyone dared to challenge or confirm that?

He brings wine to everybody in the airfield, I got one bottle myself, the refueller and radio guy got theirs and I think everybody just love that dog !

I don’t think his dog is subject to 4 months quarantine?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 14:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message