Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying Dogs

Hey there,

Is anyone aware of any legislation (CAA or DEFRA) regarding flying with dogs in General Aviation within the UK?

I’m aware that in the US, there are particular rules (“the pet must be at least eight weeks old, be fully weaned and be in good health.”

Also, what happens if we fly with the dog to the EU? On a car, we have to get paperwork approved prior to departure (I’m thinking about the EuroTunnel, for example). Would I need to use airports with animal control facilities?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

This is my flying portie (Portuguese Water Dog) (yes, she carries her own toilet paper) :)

Last Edited by Fernando at 23 Nov 16:07
EGSU, United Kingdom

I think @eddsPeter is the expert on this

Fernando wrote:

she carries her own toilet paper

Cute

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Is anyone aware of any legislation (CAA or DEFRA) regarding flying with dogs in General Aviation within the UK?

We haven‘t had any issues regarding flying around with our Labrador. Be aware the dog has to be secured in the cabin. We use a harness and attach her like a human on the backseat.

I’m aware that in the US, there are particular rules (“the pet must be at least eight weeks old, be fully weaned and be in good health.”

Never heard about something like that beside the fact if you would like to take the dog with you abroad (to Central Europe) it should be 12 weeks and fully vaccinated

Also, what happens if we fly with the dog to the EU? On a car, we have to get paperwork approved prior to departure (I’m thinking about the EuroTunnel, for example). Would I need to use airports with animal control facilities?

No chance to go back directly without an approved carrier. But you can fly from Central Europe to any place in Ireland and then go back to the UK to the place where you would like to go.

Very cute dog.

EDDS , Germany

@eddsPeter, thanks for your message.

eddsPeter wrote:

No chance to go back directly without an approved carrier. But you can fly from Central Europe to any place in Ireland and then go back to the UK to the place where you would like to go.

It’s frustrating that, in reality, we can’t fly a dog in GA directly between the UK and Central Europe.

EGSU, United Kingdom

If you put
dog
into the search box, you find some previous threads.

I don’t know the current regs but a) there used to be routes via Biggin Hill (probably only an AOC bizjet operation today) and b) the UK has been ultra worried over rabies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, @peter. It’s hard to accept that we don’t have a viable way to fly with our dogs to the continent.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

It’s hard to accept that we don’t have a viable way to fly with our dogs to the continent.

If the dog is from UK, I think you can fly one day trip and back?

We had a hangar neighbor who flew one day trips to Deuaville/LeToquet with his ‘UK dog’, I think he had an old letter from UKBF or DEFRA that says it’s ok in his situation and I don’t think anyone dared to challenge or confirm that?

He brings wine to everybody in the airfield, I got one bottle myself, the refueller and radio guy got theirs and I think everybody just love that dog !

I don’t think his dog is subject to 4 months quarantine?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Nov 14:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

There are no FAA rules in the US regarding flying of pets. The USDA regulates carriage of animals on air-carriers that you cite but this does not apply to general aviation. It is a good recommendation, however.

KUZA, United States

Ibra wrote:

I don’t think his dog is subject to 4 months quarantine?

Let’s use the car example – when taking my dog to France, for example, I need my vet to produce 16 pages of paperwork, pay £150 for it and give some tablets to my dog. I have to do this each time I want to take my dog away.

But it isn’t all… on my way back (if that happens +4 days since I left the UK), I need to take my dog to a french vet so she can get more deworming tablets.

The paperwork is checked at the border at the Eurotunnel terminal in the UK and in France.

Before Brexit, you only needed a pet passport. So, I don’t understand how your friend got away with it :)

EGSU, United Kingdom

NCYankee wrote:

There are no FAA rules in the US regarding flying of pets. The USDA regulates carriage of animals on air-carriers that you cite but this does not apply to general aviation. It is a good recommendation, however.

Thank you for clarifying it for me.

EGSU, United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message