Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to get Shell aviation avgas card? (and why do fuel cards exist)

boscomantico wrote:

Sure, but then the UK does not have any self service/payment fuel pumps. So you always require some bloke to get the payment done.

But closed loop proprietary systems are not required to implement self-service/self-payment pump. E.g. EKRK has such pump and you can you any card to pay directly at pump. The same way as it’s implemented in many self-service petrol stations across Europe.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sure; self serve/self pay pumps which accept credit cards are the best of the bunch.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Fuel cards also mean the oil company gets the cash sooner than if a 3rd party processor is involved.

And they are useful in corporate environments where you have better control over what it is used for (jet-a1, maybe hotels, not car petrol).

I’ve never heard of a Shell card (in GA).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

The same way as it’s implemented in many self-service petrol stations across Europe

Exactly!

Why do we only import the BS from the US, and only few, if any at all, of the good things? Such as aviation as a whole?
Ok, anyone flying an N-something aircraft is displaying some form of opposition, well done Peter and co

PS
Man, I do hate politics.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

self serve/self pay pumps which accept credit cards are the best of the bunch

Yes, can you imagine how little business a gas station for cars would do if they only took their own credit cards?

In my US area the airport and fuel vendor that offers the best price moves around, and the difference is often substantial. Right now the price is $5.35/USG or €1.36/liter at one local airport & vendor, but over $7.00 at my base which is only a ten minute flight away. There are self serve pumps everywhere with credit card readers that take any card, and most (but not all) print a receipt. This makes buying fuel simple and there’s no need to talk with anybody. Just like a car, like most things in aviation should be but sometimes are not. As with my car I very occasionally let somebody else pump the fuel (off the truck, at my hangar), but not often any more.

The advantage in having this uniform purchasing system (and no airport fees) is that it creates at least some level of competition. You can easily shop around on Foreflight, then stop at the airport with lowest fuel price on the way home. I don’t have to think about different logistics at every airport and can save money without incurring a big hassle to do so.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Nov 15:51

One additional thought that I think has already been mentioned in a different thread.

Automated credit cards payments (i.e. such payments where no human counterpart is involved to check your identity) in the EU these days necessarily require an online connection. Therefore it can be quite expensive in remote areas to operate a self serve pump and you do not get any fuel at all if the internet connection is broken.

Fuel cards from oil companies can legally also be accepted by such stations in offline mode

Germany

Therefore it can be quite expensive in remote areas to operate a self serve pump and you do not get any fuel at all if the internet connection is broken.

I can’t imagine area in Europe featuring airport without 4G coverage.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Silvaire wrote:

Just like a car, like most things in aviation should be but sometimes are not

Amen!

If the “hassle” of flying and owning a light aircraft could be reduced to the same level as that of cars in Europe, we wouldn’t talk about “decline [of GA]” so often on EuroGA…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

I need this card as Shell is finally going to open avgas station at EKRN but ONLY option to pay will be shell card. No cash, no credit. Idiotic – I know..

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

We can have a new post here then

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message