Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR v. IFR OCAS - UK

What PRACTICAL differences have people found between VFR and IFR (no Class A) when flying in UK airspace. For example do you get any different service from LARS units? Do you find access to controlled airspace more readily available etc?

UK, United Kingdom

@Fenland_Flyer I found that the transits are more readily available as well as better crossing altitudes. Vectors, instead of “route left of the third shed from right and then via that roundabout”. And traffic service availability is improved, especially if you are flying in IMC and mentioned that on the radio.
The only problematic ATC is Farnborough East – they sometimes don’t know any IFR routing points, so have to check SD for a nearest town if they request it.

From the less practical point – if you need to log IFR hours, then, theoretically, someone could verify the squawk you were flying with. And if it was 7000, then you shouldn’t have logged it IFR :). Needs to be 2000 (unless you are flying on a listening squawk or with ATS).

EGTR

I find you get better service if you sound like you know what you’re doing on the radio, rapid and simple calls. Perhaps declaring oneself IFR might help with conveying this impression – I don’t know.

What I do know is that lots of umming and ahhing and superfluous information generally makes controllers want to deal with you as little as possible.

@arj1 I have found some surprising instances of controllers not being familiar with IFR waypoints. The last one was with Solent Radar who really ought to have known waypoints on the edge of their control zone.

Last Edited by Graham at 11 Aug 07:58
EGLM & EGTN

From a foreigners point of view there is a great difference. You file an IFPL and in the remarks section put IFPS re route accepted. You tend then, if you are persistant, to fly as the ATS tells you and are handed from one ATS to another until you reach destination or last IFR waypoint on the route. You don’t worry about airspace unless you ask for something a bit different such as a descent, when you will be told you will be OCAS you can do what you want.
In VFR you always have to be concious of the airspace you are flying in and get permissions to enter each CAS as you go along. OCAS and I think @Ibra explained ot well somewhere, you just do as you want.
It’s the same in France for instance but we are taught that ATS is there to serve us, whereas in the UK in many places it seems that whether VFR or IFR we are a nuisance to be put up with.🙂
Others who know more about flying in the UK may well disagree.

France

Fenland_Flyer wrote:

For example do you get any different service from LARS units? Do you find access to controlled airspace more readily available etc?

It’s rather the opposite than you would think, VFR makes everybody life easier while IFR needs separation and ‘proper transition’ OCAS/CAS

For ad-hoc requests of Delta airspace, it’s best to ask UK ATC for VFR transit (if ATIS/METAR weather is iffy better tell them you are IMCR/IR rated and happy to take IFR transit),
For ad-hoc in Charlie, you definitely need to tell UK ATC that you are IFR rated to be able to fly VFR in Charlie airspace, there are some bits here and there under FL190

VFR minima in UK Delta (1.5km and clear of clouds under 3kft) are way lower than ICAO Delta (5km & 1500ft) or SERA/AD SVFR minima (absolute is 1.5km & 600ft but usually 3km & 600ft), so no point asking for SVFR in UK

In addition, SVFR is separated from VFR and IFR, UK ATC have the habit of shutting down the whole CTR when SVFR is around: they actively manage it on radar rather than procedurally using mandatory low level mandatory SVFR routes

I rarely asked for SVFR, even VFR departure does the job even with 400ft ceiling in METAR just tell them you will stay out of clouds as far as separation is concerned, converting SVFR clearance into IFR climb clearance is usually easy
Converting VFR clearance into IFR while in CTR needs some patience

All my ad-hoc IFR crossings of CTR were like IFR not above 2500ft, so not much different than my VFR crossings VFR not above 2500ft, the only difference is clouds and separation

UK CTR (radar) ATC have tendency to avoid using GPS WAYPOINTS: they don’t own the ones OCAS and are not displayed on their radar screens, the IFR lost comms procedure on OPCAS/CAS directs is unclear, the pilot needs PBN rating (exception for IMCR rated pilots) and the majority of ‘non-airways IFR’ fleet don’t have IFR approved GPS (or not up to date anyway), so you on ad-hoc IFR you get ‘vector’, ‘on-track’ or ‘overhead’ or ‘AD VOR/NDB’…the usage of RNAV waypoints are used by ‘the real en-route TMA/Airway ATC’ and PBN equipped & rated pilots mostly ‘serious’ flight operations above FL95

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Aug 08:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

All my ad-hoc IFR crossings of CTR were like IFR not above 2500ft, so not much different than my VFR crossings VFR not above 2500ft, the only difference is clouds and separation

@Ibra, I think that is where the experience differs – I heard many times that if you say IFR, then you could continue above MSA and if you are VFR, quite often ATC will make you descend into some low-alt corridor, like Manchester LLR, for example.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I think that is where the experience differs – I heard many times that if you say IFR, then you could continue above MSA and if you are VFR, quite often ATC will make you descend into some low-alt corridor, like Manchester LLR, for example.

Yes, you have to pitch up with a degree of confidence about what you want and position yourself for it – essentially making it difficult for ATC to brush you off.

As an example you want a transit south to north so you head towards Manchester’s Class D CTA at 3,400ft squawking 2000. You call them up and with confident, precise RT request an IFR transit at that level, and most importantly, sound like you expect to get it. You’ll probably get it.

If on the other hand you’re at 2,000ft squawking 7000 and you ask for a transit in slow, bumbling 10hrs-a-year RT, you’ll just be brushed off, told to remain OCAS and directed towards the low level corridor.

Unfortunately when dealing with all UK airspace, it can be difficult to know what ATC can and can’t do for you unless you know the local practices. The part we address with the above example is the bits they can do for you, but would rather not. I am a great believer in making them work for you – I always ask them to coordinate with the next unit I plan to work, and again I ask with tone and phraseology that suggests I expect it to happen. If you ask in a begging sort of way then you make it very easy for them to say sorry they’re not answering, which is the usual response when they can’t be bothered to try.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

As an example you want a transit south to north so you head towards Manchester’s Class D CTA at 3,400ft squawking 2000. You call them up and with confident, precise RT request an IFR transit at that level, and most importantly, sound like you expect to get it. You’ll probably get it. If on the other hand you’re at 2,000ft squawking 7000 and you ask for a transit in slow, bumbling 10hrs-a-year RT, you’ll just be brushed off, told to remain OCAS and directed towards the low level corridor.

I always asked for transit without specifying flight rules but saying I can take IFR if it’s available
Since few years we have this 7000/2000 OCAS but sometimes I am already on FMC squawk way above CTR

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Travelled a few weeks ago from Rochester, Kent EGTO to Benbeculla EGPL, Outer Hebrides: a 4 hour trip each way, IFR OCAS, at 8000’ all on an IR(R).
I’m sure I got a better LARS/Radar service with automatic ‘Traffic Service’ all the way.
Transiting Glasgow was very easy:
They simply asked me to keep my height & heading.
I know they treated me as if I was IFR under a ‘Control Service’ since at one point they reminded me I had descended 50’!

Last Edited by Peter_G at 11 Aug 09:48
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Yes, once you go north into ‘Scottish Info’ territory the service is much better. No idea why. They all talk to each other, hand you over, proactively get you whatever you need, etc.

EGLM & EGTN
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message