Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hangar space in Basque Country

Time finally caught up and unable to manage the weather here in Dallas considering a move to the Basque Country in Spain. Went to school there so familiar with the territory and have many friends there. In process of selling current planes but considering shipping my RV-8 there. Any one can provide info re hangar space?
I believe there is none in LESO or LEBB but looking at world map I find lots of hangars in Vitoria LEVT. Wonder if anyone can provide info on getting a space there. Hope to be able to make the move in 12 months. I also wonder what is going to happen in Europe with avgas in 2024. My engine is a 4 cylinder oncoming injected IO-360.
Any comments appreciated.

KHQZ, United States

There are plenty of Spanish pilots here @aart @antonio @celtico @coolhand so perhaps there isn’t any? I have not seen GA hangars in Spain, generally, which is probably why much Spanish GA is in such poor condition, and you get stuff like this.

Southern Europe tends to have no hangarage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My engine is a 4 cylinder oncoming injected IO-360

Which, if not hi compression, u can run on MOGAS… same engine on the -8 I fly, and we only run MOGAS with some Decalin.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I take it you have lived in/know Spain…I’m not sure I would give up Dallas-FW area to go to northern Spain… Especially if aviation is your thing!!

Good luck with the hangar!!

Availability at AENA fields across Spain is low and, even if you would find a spot, very expensive. There are quite a lot of decrepit hangars but AENA lets them rot away rather than fix and rent them out.

https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/hangares-en-aeropuertos-de-aena-o-faltan-o-tienen-unos-precios-inasumibles-para-la-aviacion-general/

The Basque country is pretty barren GA-wise. Further west you may have more luck, as there are more non-AENA fields, like LEMR, la Morgal near Gijon. You’ve probably made a circle around where you want to live, maybe you’ll find some fields in that circle here:

https://aterriza.org/mapa/

In terms of suitable flying weather, you are better off just south of the coastal mountains, but having lived there you know all about that..

Last Edited by aart at 14 Aug 10:57
Private field, Mallorca, Spain
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message