Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

South of Germany not available for planning

10 Posts

This is to vent frustration with a flight planning restriction.

I fly a lot between Poznań and Faro. 1394NM great circle and 1440NM (3% overhead) with the usual route.

This summer however, Eurocontrol invented the following restriction:

source

meaning flights from (Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland) flying to (Italy, Spain, Portugal, Morocco) can’t fly through south of Germany.

My flights which were normally between 3:15 and 3:30 now take 4 hours. Here’s what they look like (actual tracks):

There’s more restrictions like that and they’re all about EDUUUTA. I don’t think there’s traffic congestion at the flight levels we fly (450/470). What is it then? Staff shortage?

LPFR, Poland

Most probably staff shortage. EDUU/FRA/SOUTH UTA is from 310-660, lots of traffic below your levels but talking to the same sector. :/

always learning
LO__, Austria

Totally off topic, but I’m fascinated with the Polish names for Germany and Italy shown on the map. What’s their etymology?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Haha, @Airborne_Again. Niemcy from “niemy” meaning silent or unable to speak. Włochy sounds similar to “włoch” meaning hair, but Wiki insists it comes from the tribe of Volcae

LPFR, Poland

For Germany and/or Germans, the same root (-nem-/-niem-) is used in most Slavic languages.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Usually: staff shortage = industrial action

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Almost reads like you should file EPMO as the departure AD… EPPO to EPMO is surely less overhead?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I guess it would be better to stop along the route rather than fly in the opposite direction to Modlin or Warsaw. Maybe Dresden or Luxembourg for some cheap fuel. A stop with approach, refueling and takeoff would need to go really well to take less than the 30 minutes we’re adding.

Last Edited by loco at 31 Jul 13:18
LPFR, Poland

Snoopy wrote:

Most probably staff shortage. EDUU/FRA/SOUTH UTA is from 310-660, lots of traffic below your levels but talking to the same sector. :/
I see that autorouter is now showing these “potential” delays on most routings through France too, although sometimes it is specific about the applicable altitude slice and sometimes not. Is there a readily available location where the corresponding altitude limits for each of these acronyms is shown?

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Aug 10:23
LSZK, Switzerland

EDUU has been like that for a very long time.
EDUU (Karlsruhe)
Several sectors regulated due to capacity and staffing,
Donau sector (FL355+) due to Weather (turbulence).
Moderate delays.

Also just checked the RAD, apparently will be valid till October.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 01 Aug 12:38
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message