Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to fly an ILS approach in the US way (no DME) on a GTN

Hi. In EU all ILS approaches have “DME mandatory” so we display distance on DME, easy.
In US way, normally noone have DME anymore and you use GPS for distance check however how you setup for example GTN650 to have it displayed all of the time.
I tried to make box with “current vor selected” what shows normally radial + distance to vor but during approach mode its shows only RWY11/ILS and no distance.
I’m asking how to program/setup GTN to have always visible distance to aid.
Second problem is that during approach “distance to next” will always show next point from approach way, not distance to ifr nav aid from chart….

Last Edited by Przemek at 02 Jul 06:48
http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

FPL page with cumulative distance field configured?

ELLX

lionel wrote:

PL page with cumulative distance field configured?

Yes but how to see on on moving map. On approach I want to have all on one screen with no need to concentrate on GTN when I fly approach, missed etc.
Let’s say I’m looking for alternative for DME. Dme always shows just distance to navaid, always visible..

http://www.Bornholm.Aero
EKRN, Denmark

I have not used GTN650 but I think you can replace “Fuel flow” top right with “distance to next waypoint”? in personalisation menu

If you have approach loaded RNP or ILS Overlay, you will see distance to threshold RWY11 on final

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jul 07:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Przemek wrote:

In EU all ILS approaches have “DME mandatory”

They don’t. There are many ILSes around that don’t require DME. But I agree that many do so in practise you do need a DME.

so we display distance on DME, easy.
In US way, normally noone have DME anymore and you use GPS for distance check however how you setup for example GTN650 to have it displayed all of the time.
I tried to make box with “current vor selected” what shows normally radial + distance to vor but during approach mode its shows only RWY11/ILS and no distance.
I’m asking how to program/setup GTN to have always visible distance to aid.
Second problem is that during approach “distance to next” will always show next point from approach way, not distance to ifr nav aid from chart….

Beside the technical problem there is a regulatory problem. You are not allowed to use GPS instead of DME! (With rule changes this autumn the restriction will be marginally changed – you may now use GPS if you have a DME that was serviceable at takeoff but breaks in flight!)

The US has different practices on how to install DMEs – they don’t use offset DMEs and they don’t use the same id for a DME and another navaid unless they’re colocated. Both of these things can happen in Europe. The first one means that you can’t just replace the DME distance with GPS distance to the DME while the second one means that you may take the GPS distance to the wrong navaid. The Dundee crash showed that these risks are real.

OTOH, the blanked ban on GPS substitution is over the top IMO. The restriction is in an AMC so in principle you may (under part-NCO) come up with your own alternate means of compliance.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 02 Jul 09:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

One AMC is if you are in a radar environment you both can fly the approach, and request a range check at the glide slope check point.

Typically in the USA you use the IFR database to provide distance by activating an overlay approach. While you are not flying magenta, the strip information will provide accurate distance to FAF and MApT in sequence.

In the UK we are allowed to use GPS overlay up and until the FAF, then terrestrial (including the mystic ADF). As far as I can tell, this is a unique example of a Brexit dividend.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Even in Germany, several ILS approaches no longer require DME.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

several ILS approaches no longer require DME.

“no longer”? What has replaced DME? In my experience it is usually the other way around – existing ILS installations have marker (or locator) beacons replaced by DME fixes.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Don‘t know. But I was only talking about legalities here. Unto a few years ago, all ILS plates in Germany had a box „DME required“ on them. Now, many still do but more and more don’t. Luebeck is an example.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Jul 07:48
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I removed my non-functioning DME last year, and have in practice had no issue because I use RNP approaches as primary and the ILS only as a backup. In the event I need to rely on the ILS, for example because of minimums which are sometimes lower, RobertL18C’s method works fine. Even when I don’t plan to fly the ILS I will check to see if there’s an appropriate GPS point to base distance from in case I need it.

EHRD, Netherlands
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message