Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR-MEP type rating C90/100/200B - CPL

Dear fellow Aviators
I wonder if you could shed some light on this for me.
I hold MEP/CBIR/NIGHT RATING/HPA/AUPRT/PBN and currently got my Type rating on a C90B.
I would like to step up to a CPL…
Question is ,what credits do i get from doing the CBIR (not the eir)in terms of theory exams for the CPL.
Do I need to just do the balance of the subjects..ie the six remaining?
Flight hours are sufficient in terms are pic,ir etc.
FCL is EASA.
Many thanks for any relevant info,advise,feedback.
Best regards

LGMG, Cyprus

Iptamenos wrote:

Question is ,what credits do i get from doing the CBIR (not the eir)in terms of theory exams for the CPL.

Hi, sorry, to my knowledge you get no credits from the CBIR

EGTR

Even 092 Comms (it counts for CBIR→ATPL but not sure about CPL?)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 May 07:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Even 092 Comms (it counts for CBIR→ATPL but not sure about CPL?)

I believe Comms counts towards CPL only if it was a part of a full IR course, not CB IR. Although the OP says he has got an HPA endorsement so may count…

@Iptamenos, as it would be almost complete course anyway, I’d suggest talking to an ATO may be?
Plus it makes sense to pass ATPL, so if you need it later (who knows?) then it is not much more. While CPL was SUPPOSED to be much smaller in size, compared to ATPL, in practice questions “leak” from ATPL question bank (QB) to CPL QB, so you will be reading up most of the ATPL anyway.

EGTR

Many thanks Gents,Thought it might be like in the USA where you can get an IR which is much like the CBIR and then proceed from there…but obviously not…at 60 years old ATPL may be a bit too much….

LGMG, Cyprus

Reportedly the European ATPL theory is about 1/3 bigger than the CPL theory – see e.g. here.

However any ICAO ATPL theory gets you the HPA credit, and the US ATP theory is much more doable. You do need a US CPL to sit that exam though (not sure about needing a US IR).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

I believe Comms counts towards CPL only if it was a part of a full IR course, not CB IR.

A pass in the CBIR Communications exam will cross-credit against the CPL Communications exam. From Appendix 1 to Annex 1 of Part-FCL:

“Para 2.4 Applicants for a CPL having passed the relevant theoretical knowledge examinations for an IR or EIR in the same category of aircraft are credited towards the theoretical knowledge requirements in the communications subject.”

However – at least in the UK – the Communications theory was previously split into 091 VFR Comms and 092 IFR Comms, with two separate exams. Since I did my CBIR theory in 2018, they have now been merged into one subject and exam named 090 Communications. I am currently doing CPL theory and there was doubt whether my pass in 092 Comms for CBIR was sufficient to cross-credit against the new 090 Comms for CPL.

On the basis that Comms is the easiest of the subjects, and to avoid any issues with the Licensing department, I paid up £91 and took the 090 Comms CPL exam.

None of the other CBIR theory exams can be used for cross-crediting against CPL theory requirements. Only the IR theory exams give credits for Met and HPL (para 2.3 of Appendix 1 to Annex 1 of Part-FCL).

Good luck with the CPL theory. I started in August 2021 and have my (hopefully) final three exams next week.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

there was doubt whether my pass in 092 Comms for CBIR was sufficient to cross-credit against the new 090 Comms for CPL.

Depends on who you ask, DGAC was happy with CBIR092 done in UK to count for ATPL

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 May 06:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thank you all for your feedback,I will get cracking on the theory then and keep digging as I go along.
Br

LGMG, Cyprus
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message