Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New XPDR setting in the Czech Republic from 21 APR 2022

10 Posts

FYI – there is a change published in CZ. Stations with call sign “Information” are considered as ATC in this context so you should have 2000 on your XPDR when speaking to them. A bit confusing because by being in radio contact with “Prague Information” on 126.100 is not making you a controlled flight.

LKKU, LKTB

The rules on squawk 2000 usage across Europe are a total mess. And this one is a prime example of confusing transponder use instructions. I mean, seriously, who is going to read all the fine print in the various AIPs about how these countries wish the transponder to be operated when within their country?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Stations with call sign “Information” are considered as ATC in this context

No they are not. They are ATS.

The rules on squawk 2000 usage across Europe are a total mess

Correct

EBST, Belgium

they are claiming this change is alignment to SERA but I believe this is just excuse for other issues. They established segway is a small print “considered as ATS” (thanks for correction @airways) to claim this alignment.
But what´s the point consider a small local airport AFIS with no radar ATS and setting XPDR to 2000 there? Folks at AFIS might not even have radar to see your 2000 set correctly.

LKKU, LKTB

One more confusing bit is “uncontrolled flights receiving ATS from FIC”: does merely advising the FIC of your intentions once airborne (which I routinely do) constitute the use of FIC services?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Michal wrote:

They established segway is a small print “considered as ATS”

Still confusing. FIS is always ATS.

they are claiming this change is alignment to SERA but I believe this is just excuse for other issues.

As far as I can make out, the new Czech rules are exactly what SERA says.

The problem is rather that SERA permits national variations in transponder setting procedures in the absence of an individual code assignment and most other countries do in fact make use of this to deviate from SERA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Airborne_Again – I didn´t cross check SERA to be honest…I can understand, the Prague Information service is something done by ATCs. But when it comes to Kunovice Information – those guys are not ATCs, they do not have ATC licence…

LKKU, LKTB

It doesn’t matter who does the FIS. Flight information service IS an air traffic service by definition.

EBST, Belgium

Michal wrote:

But when it comes to Kunovice Information – those guys are not ATCs, they do not have ATC licence…

Don’t confuse ATC with ATS! The concept ATS (Air Traffic Services) includes both ATC and (A)FIS.

The Czech AIP consistently refers to ATS and so does the relevant parts of SERA.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

I mean, seriously, who is going to read all the fine print in the various AIPs about how these countries wish the transponder to be operated when within their country?

Honestly I don’t perceive it as that complex. At least CZ is very similar to Germany. You squawk 7000 on a VFR flight until you get in touch with FIS/Information and then use the code they provide to you.
The only relevant information o the page is that in CZ if FIS does not provide you a code you have to squawk 2000 as long as you are in contact with them. In many years of flying, however, I have never had a situation where ATS did not give me the code I should use.
I openly admit that I don’t even know if there is such a “default code” as well in Germany as it has no practical relevance to me.

Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message