Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russia spoofing / jamming GPS

Reports attributed to EASA:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If their coverage is really as shown, it affects eight NATO member countries. Enough said.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

At what altitude you get that picture? FL800? 8kft?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Mar 21:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Just checked the EASA site. So far there is just a safety information bulletin.

I find it difficult to believe on can jam and spoof the signal as low as 2kft agl to degrade GPS approach on such wide area…

Surely the only way is to use satellites? or nuke the sky?

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Mar 21:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

To jam GPS, you merely need to get the jammer above the receiver.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I find it difficult to believe on can jam and spoof the signal as low as 2kft agl to degrade GPS approach on such wide area…

Surely the only way is to use satellites? or nuke the sky?

Even before the war, spoofing was reported even at ground level. If I remember correcty, it first started on the high seas. Just a few days ago, one skier in the middle of Finland suddenly noticed her smartwatch showing her position 400 km away from the real one. So maybe they are really using satellites.

Re GPS jamming, I would not undervalue the chances that the US is consciously reducing/degrading GPS coverage in that area as it is integrated in the system anyway.
I wouldn’t point to Russia in this case…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Hopefully this will lead to reconsideration of current plans to shut down ground based navigation facilities like VOR, ILS, etc.

Germany

Does this restriction make any sense? An Iphone 12 for example has GPS/Galileo/Glonass (plus the Chinese and Japanese, but its not relevant here).

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message