Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Child Seats in Aircraft

I have been using the following for my 3 and 5 yrs old with a booster seat.

We also use it while flying commercial.
While it is good for flying, it is useless in taxis or cars. For that purpose, this appears to be quite good (lightweight and compact) for a shorter journey.
Walser Noemi Car Child Seat

EDMB, Germany

Hi all,
Our little boy turned 6 months old (weighs about 9kg and can almost sit by himself), and I think about taking him and my wife for his first flight.
The seats have only lap belts, but I guess is any cosy/seat compatible with an airline seat should work in a Robin.
But we bought an isofix seat for the car.
So my plan is to buy a used cosy/child seat for 9+kg compatible for airliners on Le bon coin (french platform to sell and buy second hand stuff).
Any other ideas ?

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 01 Jan 17:41
LFOU, France

@Jujupilote doesn’t the car seat have two parts, that is an isofix base and an upper part where the kid is laying is snapped into that base? That’s what we always had. It might be possible to just fasten the upper part into the plane.

However we didn’t do that. Three reasons. First, the baby will PROB90 be frightened and might cry. Second, it’s uncomfortable to place the seat. And the baby doesn’t see anything.

We used a “Manduca”, that is a baby carrier that is strapped on. baby and mother are 100% in their comfort zone and the level of exposure can be varied from “in mother’s jacket” to “crawling all over the back bench”…used this also in airline flights. Unbeatable..

Last Edited by UdoR at 01 Jan 22:28
Germany

I didn’t think about a baby carrier. We have 2 and love them but I had NCO.IDE.A.140 in mind which for mr forbids carriers.
Our car seat is an isofix base with a 360 spinning seat. Very convenient but they can’t be separated.

LFOU, France

@Jujupilote why would that be so? The baby may be seated together with the mother, it does not need a separate seat. You only need something to restrain the kid. You can put a belt like what they have in the airliners around the baby and wrap it with the mother’s belt – just like it’s done in an airliner. But nowhere could possibly be stated that it was forbidden to additionally use a baby carrier 👋👌

To my understanding that is not only allowed, but even the safest way to do.

You will need the belt anyway, because once you’ve seen how easy this is you’ll continue with that. And when the baby has more than 12 months the belt gets more handy, because you might start to skip the baby carrier..

We did that until maybe 20 months and now he prefers his own seat. However the carrier is still always on board, they both like it, and it’s the most “back-preserving” way to hold the baby while asleep..

Last Edited by UdoR at 02 Jan 07:36
Germany

I made my life easy when the kids needed child seat, or CRS child restraint seat in FAA speak.
Get a car seat which is approved for use in an aircraft too, which in those days were the only personal ones to be accepted in flight on airliners anyways.

You may find them by searching for dual use CARES child aviation restraint system device. Those child seats do have an additional sticker or marking “FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.8(d), Approved for Aircraft Use” or “FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.305(d), Amd 21.50 6-9-1980, Approved for Aircraft Use” on it. Many shops were not aware of this feature on some of the child seats when we were shopping, so you may have to look yourself at the display seats to find them. Maybe about 1 out of 50 does have the feature.

Germany

Alternatively, when my son was 3 or 4, I sat him in the front seat of a 152 and we went taxiing round the apron. I used the pedals and gave him full use of the yoke. He couldn’t see out of the window so he didn’t know that he wasn’t actually flying, and he thought it was fantastic.

Obviously doesn’t work if you’re actually trying to go somewhere, but in terms of “going flying with Daddy”, it ticks all the boxes.

Last Edited by kwlf at 02 Jan 10:38

This is wholesome @kwlf 🤗

always learning
LO__, Austria

At four years old you can use a booster that UdoR mentions just fine. I take the kids flying since they were babies, and as soon as they were able to sit I used those. The more elaborate ones with head support are very clumsy with headsets.

EHTE, Netherlands

UdoR wrote:

You can put a belt like what they have in the airliners around the baby and wrap it with the mother’s belt – just like it’s done in an airliner. But nowhere could possibly be stated that it was forbidden to additionally use a baby carrier 👋👌

In a four seater, we wanted to do this with two adults and 3 kids. But, while legal (to my understanding) I was told by insurance that we can’t do this. I didn’t argue the point and stopped flying that plane with the whole family onboard.

Wouldn’t be Baby carriers/Manduca be uncomfortable for a mommy in a small plane? I agree though that it is a great stuff for various reasons.

EDMB, Germany
Sign in to add your message