Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Schleissheim - EDNX

Hi all !

A dear friend will soon be moving from Grenoble (France), with wife and child, to Munich for a new job. He passed his PPL 10 years ago and has a french proficiency on the paper. He will take next week the english exam, which should not be a problem for him.
He plans to get in touch with a flying club in Schleissheim (EDNX), in order to fly regularly there.
Does he need a german proficiency as well on his license ? And, if yes, how can he get that ? He quite can get by in German.

I also have a question about the use of EDNX : I looked up at the charts and found a PPR is necessary ; but it seems that the possibilities to be granted are very limited. As my wife and I will be next year looking forward to visiting these friends, does an expert of the area could advise how we should proceed to be allowed to land in Schleissheim ?

Many thanks in advance and happy new year,
Michel

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

Apparently Schleissheim has a limited number of movements for non-based aircraft to visit every calendar year, a result of local legal restrictions. They tend to use up those movements before the end of the year and are therefore careful with them. A request made early in the year will have greater chance of success.

I’m sure somebody will have the required contact details, or perhaps ask the club. I’m not sure if German proficiency is required, hopefully someone will know, but FWIW its a very quiet airport when I’ve been there – it’s limited to very low level usage.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 17:45

Discussed many times here and elsewhere. If he has English LP, he does not formally need German LP if he wants to fly in Germany. EDNX formally allows RT in English, so that should be good. But if he otherwise doesn‘t speak a lot of German, several smaller German aerodromes will remain impractical for him (legalities aside).

On the club there: I don‘t know the details, but I am not sure they are looking for new members at all. One would have to get in touch with them (likely in German, or Bavarian rather) and see if they are interested. But it for sure isn‘t a place where you can come, fly, and leave.

PPR is required for visitors, yes. And the number of visiting aircraft they are allowed to let in per year is limited. Munich is very anti-GA. In most years, towards the end of the year, they reach their limit, and have to turn requests down. Landing and fuel also isn‘t cheap.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Dec 17:47
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Jesenwang is BTW a reasonably accommodating airport in the same area, but it has an extremely short runway and is on the other side of Munich. I’ve flown in and out with a friend who is based there.

There is also Landshut to the east, and another one south of there – I forget the name but another friend who couldn’t afford Landshut had his plane based there when living in Freising.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 17:59

There is absolutely nada in the south Munich for airfields. Neubiberg closed 25 years ago.

And Landshut is really quite far away. So yes, if you want to fly from the actual Munich area, EDNX, Dachau and Jesenwang (quite a bit of distance already) are the only options.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Dec 18:14

I believe the one I mentioned is (EDMY) Mühldorf, south of Landshut. About an hour by road from central Munich and I know absolutely nothing about it other than being told about it by the friend who was based there. (I’d like to check it out some time)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 30 Dec 18:28

It‘s due east, and yes, about an hour‘s drive from Munich.

Many thanks you two ; I did not imagine such a tense situation and that Munich is anti-GA.
I bet my friend’s passion for Aviation will go over that !
Michel

LFLG - Grenoble le Versoud, France

I visited EDNX as a guest this year in August and after years of reading about the alleged anti-GA sentiments in the Munich area, I was pleasantly surprised.

The pattern is a bit unusual the way it is shaped and the way it actually runs through the Munich CTR without needing their clearance (you stay on EDNX Info all the time), but nothing that cannot be coped with. PPR was a non-event (to be fair, it was mid-year, so I guess they had plenty of slots), got the answer I think within minutes after requesting via the website form. Both when I landed and when I left the next day, the airfield was quite busy with some in the pattern, some glider activity, lots of people in the beer garden and a sufficiently friendly chat when paying. I can’t remember what I paid, but it can’t have been horrendous because then I would remember.

Coming in, I walked into Munich (that was a bit of a hike) until I reached the first public transport station. Outbound, I took a local train to Oberschleißheim and a taxi from there.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

michelb wrote:

I did not imagine such a tense situation and that Munich is anti-GA.

To be precise they are more anti sub 2t GA. Over 2t you can fly to EDMO or EDDM and that seems to work fine. Not cheap but not outrageous either.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message