Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stall Spin Video with full Analysis

Wasn’t this taken from a fixed camera and lens mounted on a hangar?
If so forshortening would occur across the board not just on the accident aircraft.
There doesn’t look to be a great deal of this.
I would say it looks like a lens on the wider end, in which case you can get the opposite of foreshortening. It is possible that items in certain parts of the frame and closer to the camera will suffer a certain amount of distortion.
Having said that the camera does appear.to move at one point but there doesn’t appear to be a shift in the focal length of the lens.

Last Edited by gallois at 03 Dec 11:56
France

Airborne_Again wrote:

The go-around looked fine until he pulled the nose up. Why…?

He probably didn’t. It was trimmed for the approach, and if you put power in on a C172 with the flaps down and trimmed for approach, it will rear up and require a startlingly high amount of force on the yoke to keep the attitude in check until the aircraft is re-trimmed. It’s enough force that you feel like you’re going to break something if you’ve never done it before.

If the student had never done a go-around with full flaps (firstly, his instructor failed him if that’s the case), it’s quite likely he was startled by it, and didn’t realise just how hard he should have been pushing on the yoke.

Andreas IOM

When I went solo my instructor sent me for one circuit and then asked me to land and debrief. Not sure actually if there is a norm, but sending him up for a second circuit might just all have been too much? Just a thought..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

My instructor told me to vacate the runway, turned to me and said he was fed up with me trying to kill him so it was time I went off on my own – I think he was joking

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I think he was joking

Hopefully!!!! I always remember it being a serene and elated experience. A great achievement and one that you will never forget. Neither will this poor chap, for differing reasons obviously

EGPF Glasgow

gallois wrote:

Wasn’t this taken from a fixed camera and lens mounted on a hangar?
If so forshortening would occur across the board not just on the accident aircraft.
There doesn’t look to be a great deal of this.

What matters is not the distance of the lens or anything, but how much narrower the field of view of the image is compared to what you would see directly. You get the same effect whether you use a long lens, or simply enlarge and crop a part of the image, and it is caused by the brain translating the size of things into speed, angle and direction.

If an object 1000m away moves 100m towards you, the size of its image increases by 11%. If an object 200m away moves 100m towards you, its size doubles. So if your eye looks at an image where the object takes up a large part of the field of view, one part of your brain says “wow, this is close” and interprets the movement accordingly, which makes a distant aircraft in an enlarged image appear to move a lot less towards / away from you than it actually is.

Biggin Hill

It’s hard to imagine that the student didn’t have a grasp on the elevator trim change associated with adding throttle in go-arounds or touch-and-goes. You must by necessity do a great many of them before solo and should be well used to simultaneously holding forward pressure on the stick after adding throttle, and quickly winding in nose down trim. Maybe he was so anxious that he lost the ability to think and act? It’s difficult to understand what happened.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Dec 16:58

Silvaire wrote:

It’s hard to imagine that the student didn’t have a grasp on the elevator trim change associated with adding throttle in go-arounds or touch-and-goes.

Yes it is but the GA accident rate remains steady and high. Interestingly a lot of mishaps around airfields, whether in the arrival mode to the circuit, landing, and take off. I think you would be mightily surprised at the competence level of some pilots. I watched recently a facebook post by a U tuber. He was flying a G36 Bonanza. Full bells and whistles. Raybans on, kids in the back, like my channel stuff. This as he was still on autopilot, on downwind VFR, in a very busy traffic pattern. He almost ploughed it in. Now, he thought that his crazy arrival was alright, blaming his absence of SA on a controller late call to turn final, and a busy pattern. there were three aircraft. Totally frightening

EGPF Glasgow

@Cobalt the perspective changes with the focal length, so it does make a great deal of difference as does the positioning.of the camera. The brain is very good at adapting to these things and not being tricked by them. It is like the brain is very good at adapting in a short space of time to astigmatism.
More likely to.trick the.brain are things which change the scale of one thing in relation to another.
Enlarging a photograph or a digital zoom gives a very different image from that of an optical zoom which in turn gives a very different image to a fixed focus lens of the same focal length.
In this particular case we are told that the video was taken from a camera mounted on the instructor’s hangar.The accident aircraft touches down(all with a fixed camera and.lens). When the aircraft takes off again for the go round, someone appears to move the camera. In one image this appears to.be a clumsy zoom out, another shot the camera appears to be forced right so.you see the.side of the hangar.
We know.that this could not have been this instructor because he landed after the accident had already occurred.
I wonder two things here. One is were there 2 cameras following this aircraft, or have the images been doctored. I have only so far looked at these o. A smartphone screen and it is difficult to compare the 2.shots. It might be just a case of editing.
The second point is why someone made these sudden moves. From the first part of the image it appears ok a bit of a hard landing but a pretty normal touch and go. Did the person or persons who rapidly zoomed or moved the camera by force, hear or see something.that made them sense that something.was going.to go badly wrong. I would love to have heard the sound track or heard from the person or people who moved the camera saying why they did so.

Last Edited by gallois at 03 Dec 21:41
France

gallois wrote:

Did the person or persons who rapidly zoomed or moved the camera by force, hear or see something.that made them sense that something.was going.to go badly wrong.

It’s an automatic system that tracks aircraft movements. Apparently it is not interested in aircrafts on the ground because immediately after the accident plane had impacted the ground it looked back in the direction of the next plane on final.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message