Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stall Spin Video with full Analysis

Here is the first video of the student incident…

And here is the instructor analysis about exactly why and how….

Happened 21st November 2021..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

The go-around looked fine until he pulled the nose up. Why…?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Dec 13:32
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

F…, these fully documented crashes are terrible to watch. Hope I (and u) can take away something from those.
Now let the shark frenzy start…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

The go-around looked fine until he pulled up the nose. Why…?

I assume he did not reset the trim. Got overwhelmed a bit and it take some force to get that nose down with full landing trim set.
The take away for me was get out……ASAP. The speed that the small fire took hold was sobering. Remember the video of the guys at the Swiss airport who did not lower the gear and the horn was blaring. They sat staring at each other for ages after the crash. I also think the idea that any fire extinguisher that you carry is only there to clear you a small window to get out…not to put the aircraft fire out

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Airborne_Again wrote:

The go-around looked fine until he pulled the nose up.

Might be due to camera perspective, but to me the approach looks pretty steep from the beginning. Has that been a simulated engine failure landing?

Germany

Maybe I wasn’t careful enough but I haven’t heard anything in the analysis except describing the video which I was able to see myself.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I saw an incident almost exactly like this one at my base, after a student bounced and got the planes nose very, very high. I held breath as, somehow, the Cessna 152s wing managed to keep flying in spite of the student apparently freezing and taking no action to lower the nose with either elevator or trim. I had no idea from my point of view why it didn’t stall, but it kept mushing along and flew away. Very scary to watch.

We also had a similar accident in which a fresh ex-military pilot doing banner pickups in a modified 180 HP Cessna 150 managed to stall/spin onto the ramp just beyond my hangar row. Very sad as the nose of the plane was completely crushed and the pilot with it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 02 Dec 15:08

Airborne_Again wrote:

The go-around looked fine until he pulled the nose up. Why…?

I recall one go around i did with my then C150 with full flaps 40° down and the pitch up is violent. @BeechBaby has got it right, unless you trim rather fast, you need a lot of force to push, which is not what your instinct tells you to do in a go around but which is vital to build up speed and retract flaps to take off position. So yea, it looks like exactly that. I guess he was lucky to get out of there alive and without major injuries.

The fire… wow. Shows what happens if the fuel valve does not get closed immediately after a crash. But then again, if a fire starts, as the instructor said, it is vital to get out very very fast.

BeechBaby wrote:

Remember the video of the guys at the Swiss airport who did not lower the gear and the horn was blaring.

You mean the Megeve TB20? That was in France but yes, those guys really were beyond belief. And I guess it never occured to them that there could have been a fire too. I am very concious about that possibility as I fly a Mooney, quite a lot of those have been destroyed by post crash fires and people burnt in there because they could not get out in time. Another I remember vividly was the crash of a Robin towplane in Bern, which flipped over. As that plane has a canopy, there was no way of opening it. That pilot was alive and concious but could not be saved from the fire. I guess the guys who ran there to help will carry that awful image to their grave.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 03 Dec 07:59
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Closing the fuel valve won’t help much. Fires generally start due to fuel tank rupture and then you just need a spark, which can be metal grinding against tarmac or concrete, or an electrical short.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

Might be due to camera perspective, but to me the approach looks pretty steep from the beginning.

The climb out also looks impossibly steep.

This effect is used by using a telephoto lens (or by zooming in) and hence often called “lens compression” but has actually nothing to do with the lens.

Very simplified, you enlarge the horizontal element of the image but not the depth, so relative distances to/from the lens and movement toward or away from the lens appear smaller.

A good example is an aircraft landing filmed from beyond the departure end of the runway – in the video below, you see what looks like VTOL jet operations… (skip ahead to 0:44)

Last Edited by Cobalt at 03 Dec 11:08
Biggin Hill
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message