Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rules for flying cross border to UK private strips

Have other private aerodrome operators seen similar progress?

They have not come back for one strip east London, the owner sent CoA application with his own self assessment tax number (instead of his business tax number), I am following this closely as I am the only pilot who flew from EU to that place in the last 3 years

I guess you are covered by temporary CoA?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Dec 13:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We had visits from BF and Antiterrorism early during covid. Then filed my application for the CoA well over a year ago, maybe two. Heard nothing, despite sending a couple of emails to ask about progress.

A week or so ago I received finally an email telling me I needed to obtain an EORI number. I though was going to be a problem as the airfield is not owned in a business and I don’t have a VAT number. But it turned out I didn’t need these and it actually took only 30 mins on the govt website to apply for the EORI number and I got it in another 30 minutes. I have sent this off and am waiting to hear back as to whether my application is accepted. They did also ask me what facilities I could offer for the undertaking of “inspections” by the customs officers. I replied that I could offer “a large bench in the hangar for inspecting luggage and the lambing shed for ‘intimate inspections’”. We shall see if that is acceptable!

I was one of the first to apply and have the BF visit, so I guess the process will roll out for others soon.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

the lambing shed for ‘intimate inspections’”

For very intimate inspections, shaving equipment is present.

😂

always learning
LO__, Austria

And vaseline.

For very intimate inspections, shaving equipment is present.

Gloves treatment from his majesty’s finest !

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Dec 16:13

This is getting a bit low-level, guys… this is UK, not Russia

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure if this is the best thread for this, but…last time I looked into this (a month ago), I understood that the blanket CoA grace period – temporarily allowing cross-border flights to anywhere in the UK – ended in Dec 2022. And from this inferred that this year I would need to always ensure I first landed at a CoA airfield on return from the EU.

…however, looking at the GAR guidance again (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/general-aviation-operators-and-pilots-notification-of-flights), it says:

“…all airports and airfields not designated as a customs and excise airport are covered under a blanket approval to allow them to continue operating flights. This interim measure has been introduced to allow airports and airfields to apply for CoA approval. All airports and airfields not designated for customs and excise are covered under the measure but must receive specific CoA approval before 31 December 2023
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1118111/GOV.UK_GAR_instructions_-_December_2021.pdf

Was the grace period extended recently, or am I just imagining things? I could swear it said 31 Dec 2022 not long ago… (the document it appears in is dated Dec 2021, which would mean I am wrong)

EDIT: I can some references to EOY 2023 in older threads e.g. here – so maybe I was just being myopic last time I looked into this!

Last Edited by SteakAndAle at 15 Feb 22:10
EGSG, United Kingdom

The blanket CoA for all places is indeed Dec2023, it was changed last year, airfields that had international flights in last 5 years have likely been contacted by UKBF & HRMC, some has gone past application stage but I don’t think anyone has got their CoA yet?

This get kicked down road again for those without CoA, rendezvous 31 Dec at 23.59

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 22:16

I was one of the very first to be contacted and submit the application. Then as noted above, in December 22 I was asked to submit an “EORI” number, which I did right away. Still no word. Exceptionally rapid service from HMG as per usual.

For those who also have applications in, here is the latest communication from the National Frontiers Approvals Unit regarding my application for CoA status for our airstrip.

Good Afternoon
Hope you have been keeping well.
Can you please clarify who the operating entity is – This email is to ensure the below;
The holder of the CoA authorisation will be responsible for compliance with the terms and conditions of the authorisation and can be subject to potential penalty action for non-compliance.
**Can you also please confirm if there are provision of facilities specifically toilets and car parking spaces for BF as this is a requirement

The airstrip and surrounding land are personally owned, so I really hope they are not looking for some corporation to stand behind the operation.
I showed them the toilets (in an outbuilding) when they made their inspection many months ago.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 15 Mar 22:59
Sign in to add your message