Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IAOPA: New IFR regulation for GA finally adopted

Peter wrote:

In the IR they teach you something about the markings, I think…

They do! But unless you practice this regularly (ot at least occasionally), it feels, well, interesting! :)

At Southend with my instructor a few years ago:
- What are you looking for on that airport diagram?
- Taxiway Charlie.
- You see that big road we are taxiing on? That is Charlie!

:)

EGTR

Last year I flew from Southend mixing with CAT in SEP in low visibility, a new junior guy flying Titan Airways B737 who is not familiar with the airport, mis-identified the taxiway and taxied into a tight one, wheels into muddy grass and got stuck, they closed the whole runway exit and the taxiway…

This was not even LVO, it was a good 800m RVR day that morning we can say a lot about GA getting lost taxiing in big airports and all the possible consequences but at least wheels turn radius is 10m, the wing span is 10m and you can taxi on grass and do 180 easily

This was him on takeoff early morning, we were number 2 to follow that morning

Someone did share these pictures of his evening end retreive

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Nov 10:21
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Jeez you will get slashed in the other topic for saying that…

This was before part-NCO and the Swedish regulations at the time were very clear that private flights could depart IFR from anywhere as long as the viz was at least 600 m.

I think it is undisputable that EASA Ops rules also allow this. You could possibly argue that there are EASA airport rules that would prohibit it, but no one has yet showed me such a regulation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So what is new?
150m RVR take off allowed?
Can’t find anything in the AMC draft.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

150m RVR take off allowed?

It was in EASAs proposal, but was removed after concerns from airlines about runway incursions by GA aircraft in poor visibility. If I understood correctly, EASA will instead made it easier for part-NCO operators to get LVO approval

Thank you

always learning
LO__, Austria

New NCO in Q4/2022 broadening the use of an IR

In an attempt to relief this thread from more input about regulatory discussion, and in astonishment about amendments which are about to come, I open a new thread. According to IAOPA there will be these amendments including a lot of simplifications for GA.

Do I understand it right, that from Q4/2022 on we will be allowed to depart in 150m RVR, where the only requirement is according to page 14 of 59 a Runway centreline marking for a day-time departure? On page 9 of the linked document:

SPA.LVO.100:
The operator shall conduct the following operations only if approved by the competent authority:

(a) take-off operations with visibility conditions less than 400 m RVR, except for operations under
Annex VII, which may be conducted with visibility conditions of not less than 150 m RVR without
approval by the competent authority;

Annex VII is “Non-Commercial operations with other-than complex motor-powered aircraft”

There are more nuggets to be found in that document, in particular relating also to approaches.

Last Edited by UdoR at 15 Nov 16:31
Germany

UdoR wrote:

Do I understand it right, that from Q4/2022 on we will be allowed to depart in 150m RVR, where the only requirement is according to page 14 of 59 a Runway centreline marking for a day-time departure? On page 9 of the linked document:

Unfortunately not. The amendments you link to were EASA’s initial proposal. After getting many negative comments on the proposed change to SPA.LVO.100, EASA has withdrawn that particular change. (Airlines were afraid of runway incursions by light GA.) Instead they say they will make it easier for part-NCO operators to get low wiz approval.

You can find EASA’s final proposal here.

Airborne_Again wrote:

EASA has withdrawn that particular change

So it is 400 m on takeoff without approval, right?

Germany

Is this the same item?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message