Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

RNAV1 "mandatory" to fly an ILS - a novel idea...

From here

One interesting change at EHRD as a result of the removal of navaids is that RNAV1 is now required even for the ILS. Which means, for example, that someone with a BK KLN unit would not be able to fly the ILS. This feels like the bigger story in many ways.

EHRD, Netherlands

Is this current, for EHRD?

It doesn’t say RNAV1 is mandatory. That would be outrageous because the only way you could legally fly the ILS, with a GPS failure, would be by declaring a mayday.

Is the INS the primary system and DMEs are correcting it?

Yes.

Then why have an INS at all, when you have two DMEs ?

Over remote areas with no DMEs, mountains, etc. Look at the IAPs into say Innsbruck

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is this current, for EHRD?

No that’s the old one. You can’t fly the old one anymore without GPS because the beacons are gone. Here are the new variants for RWY 24:

Both show RNAV 1 required, and you can see the fixes are now all GPS waypoints instead of using traditional navaids. I just went and flew the new approaches yesterday to get familiar.

Last Edited by dutch_flyer at 24 Aug 12:49
EHRD, Netherlands

So no radar vectors at Rotterdam? Most ILS traffic around the “modern” world is vectored.

Administrator

The “problem” is the missed approach, which also is to some RNAV waypoint. There is no radar vectoring below the MVA.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Note 3 on the EHRD chart says clearly that there is vectoring

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

So no radar vectors at Rotterdam? Most ILS traffic around the “modern” world is vectored.

Of course we get vectors, but I suppose the missed approach is the real issue:

EHRD, Netherlands

Looks like it’s not just EHRD either. EHAM, EHEH, and EHLE all no longer have a non-RNAV 1 approach. And even then there’s often an ILS in only one direction, with RNP clearly giving more options.

EHRD, Netherlands

Re RNAV1, the KLN94 contains all the waypoints, so nobody would know. And yes you can jump on me for that too because it never had the FAA PRNAV LoA

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Re RNAV1, the KLN94 contains all the waypoints, so nobody would know.

Like flying a “DME required” ILS with no DME I guess…

EHRD, Netherlands
49 Posts
Sign in to add your message