Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youngest woman around the world (Zara Rutherford)

airways wrote:

Low level over the water. She’s got balls !

Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose ….

Last Edited by Malibuflyer at 20 Aug 07:42
Germany

I remember reading an article in either Flyer or Pilot magazine about an ultralight flying to Uruguay ant he flew a few 100 ft all the way to the canaries from Spain.
Think it was even below 500ft

EBZW, Belgium

Without suggesting that this is the case here, low flying seems to be a common feature of many flights in parts of the world, where you want to avoid radar contact – because obtaining the overfly permits is just too hard. The “matrix” in say Africa can be horrendous.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flying high or low above a virtually endless stretch of water doesn’t make much difference.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It makes a huge difference to one’s ability to set 7700, make a mayday call, get the raft ready, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It makes a huge difference to one’s ability to set 7700, make a mayday call, get the raft ready, etc.

… to glide in the direction of the nearest oil rig or marine vessel (or to even be able to see where this direction is). Double check survival suite is closed, prepare mentally for impact, go through the “Leave aircraft and survive in water” checklist …

Not even to mention: To solve the (engine or more likely fuel system) problem before the plane hits the water …

Germany

Peter wrote:

In the North Atlantic you better have the raft ready when taking off, and fly in your survival suit, and drill for all of it up front. 7700 on a transponder? You have to have real stuff, satellite communications. I have been in the North Sea several times (oil rigs). Helicopters fly low, VFR with visibility of the water it seemed to me. At least they did 20 years ago Everyone in full survival suite, and pre-drilled/trained.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I have been in the North Sea several times (oil rigs). Helicopters fly low, VFR with visibility of the water it seemed to me. At least they did 20 years ago Everyone in full survival suite, and pre-drilled/trained

Do they follow the same routes? or just random flying everytime?

Yes flying high or low does not make much difference to the fact that you will be ditching in open water but being able to debug engine, get ready, pass mayday and fire up TXP/ELT/PLB will make a huge difference to your survival…

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Aug 10:25
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Do they follow the same routes? or just random flying everytime?

Yes flying high or low does not make much difference to the fact that you will be ditching in open water but being able to debug engine, get ready, pass mayday and fire up TXP/ELT/PLB will make a huge difference to your survival…

North Sea helicopter flying is of course well regulated and professional and with surveillance and so on, so it is not a good example in that respect. However, the the basic principles for safety (in terms of ditching) are:

• Survival suits
  • Training with suits (helicopter upside down thing)
  • Training with suits in North Sea conditions (floating around basically, getting onto rafts and so on)

Think of it this way. If the engine stops, what would you bet your life on to survive?

1. That the engine miraculously will start again
  2. That you are properly prepared for a long stay in the water (several days), and with appropriate means of contacting SAR.

In that scenario the altitude of flying doesn’t really make any difference, other than giving you a longer time to “prepare”. That preparation should be done long before take off IMO.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Think of it this way. If the engine stops, what would you bet your life on to survive?

That the engine miraculously will start again
That you are properly prepared for a long stay in the water (several days), and with appropriate means of contacting SAR.

In an SEP? I would for sure go for 1.) first. By far most important reason that causes an engine in an SEP to quit is fuel starvation. So if I planned the flight carefully (and in such water crossings I would) by far most likely reason is some mishandling of the fuel system. I would not call it a miracle, though, if the engine would start again after I switched to the right tank.

And this is where altitude comes in to play: The whole point about flying high above water is that your 1.) and 2.) are not an either or but a first 1 then 2!
This does make much of a difference!

Germany
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message