Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youngest woman around the world (Zara Rutherford)

Silvaire wrote:

Two tiny islands off the Canadian coast owned by France,

They were massive stocks of alcoholic beverages there during the prohibition in the US, raised some questions but local authority had just said that the locals drink heavily :-)

ENVA, Norway

Capitaine wrote:

There are some pretty long legs if you want to stay in France:

Actually, THAT would be a fun project. Round the world, but never leave La France !

On a quick and dirty look at that map I reckon you would need a ~2500nm range.

Definitely possible with say a TB20, which could get airborne at 1.5x MTOW (so carrying 1200kg payload which would be roughly 1000kg of fuel i.e. 1400 litres / 370 USG / 35hrs / 5000nm+ range, but I doubt this type can do that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No problem, dude, take a Comanche!

From June 2–4, 1959 Conrad flew Comanche 250 N110LF non-stop from Casablanca, Morocco to Los Angeles, a distance of 7,668 mi (12,340 km). […] With interior seats replaced by fuel tanks, the aircraft was loaded 2,000 lb (910 kg) over its production gross weight limit when Conrad took off from Casablanca.

A few months later, on November 24, 1959, Conrad set the record (that still stands) for the 1000–1750 kg weight class, flying from Casablanca to El Paso, Texas in the same aircraft fitted with a smaller engine, with a flight time of 56 hours. […] 11,211.83 km (6,966.71 mi) Casablanca – El Paso TX

Source: Wikipedia

Edit: I’ve read elsewhere that the time of takeoff and weather conditions had to be chosen carefully, in order to make it out of the runway strip in Casablanca, and that climb performance was next to non-existent.

Second edit: they mounted the four cylinder 180hp engine to the Comanche, which was used in earlier Comanches, to reduce weight and fuel flow of the aircraft. I also read that Conrad never flew higher than 7000 ft on these flights, as miles per gallon keeps the same, but flight time increases down low.

Last Edited by UdoR at 28 Jul 19:04
Germany

UdoR wrote:

A few months later, on November 24, 1959, Conrad set the record (that still stands) for the 1000–1750 kg weight class, flying from Casablanca to El Paso, Texas in the same aircraft fitted with a smaller engine, with a flight time of 56 hours. […] 11,211.83 km (6,966.71 mi) Casablanca – El Paso TX

Sounds like torture to me….

I would love to do a RTW trip and perhaps will do so one day, but I would take my time and actually explore the countries / areas I visit. If I ever get to do it, would prob90 do it in a light twin or perhaps a C210.

A Thorp T-18 normally has 32 USG or less fuel capacity but Don Taylor somehow managed to increase his range to “1800-2400 miles” to make the first homebuilt aircraft circumnavigation of the world in 1976. He took 60 days to do it, starting and ending at Oshkosh, so must’ve seen something on the way. I assume this photo was at the start of the trip…

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Jul 19:31

172driver wrote:

Sounds like torture to me…

Then you’ve never flown a Comanche!

Germany

Silvaire wrote:

Saint Pierre and Miguelon. Two tiny islands off the Canadian coast owned by France, “the only remaining vestige of French sovereignty in North America”. If you look on Google Street View the cars have French license plates

I recently restored a Mercedes here in the UK that had been shipped from USA. Investigation of the original build sheet revealed that it was first delivered there.
Presumably there was some tax advantages.

Forever learning
EGTB

She made it to Iceland.
Low level over the water. She’s got balls !

Last Edited by airways at 19 Aug 18:05
EBST, Belgium
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message