Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IAPs with inexplicably high minima - why - and why is ILS 250ft DH instead of 200ft

Why is one ILS 250ft DH while another is 200ft DH

This is when both are not apparently affected by any terrain or other obstacles.

Are there some factors like the required regular calibration/survey of the 200ft one being more expensive?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flight inspection costs are independent of DH. However, they might be different between CAT I, II and III due to different accuracy and tolerance requirements.

Nope, all the same. Can you give an example Peter?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

LKPR ILS24, LFAT ILS13.

Administrator

Possible offset on final track, or limited approach light system? The latter usually relates to RVR not DH.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I was waiting for one of the gurus to answer this one, but I believe that a 200 ft DH requires the runway to be CAT I certified. If the runway is only certified to “NONP”, then the minimum DH cannot be lower than 250 ft. But I do not know how a runway is certified.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Peter wrote:

LKPR ILS24

Where do you get 250 ft DH from? It’s a Cat III runway with a Cat I OCH of 137 ft.

I think he means LFAT is 250ft. LKPR is 200, unless you have bells and whistle.

Last Edited by Dave_Phillips at 04 Jun 16:34
Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Administrator

Ah, OK, I get it now. So the real question is “why is the LFAT ILS 13 DH 250 ft and not the more usual 200 ft system minimum?”

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message