Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck will be phased out

My wish would be that SkyDemon allows access to Jepp charts. I would not ask for anything more !

As posted previously:

• SD wants to have nothing to do with IFR as a policy matter
  • Jepp will (clearly, evidently) not license its data to any non-TSO panel product, or any android portable device
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

SD wants to have nothing to do with IFR as a policy matter

That’s not the impression I get. They have added several IFR features over the past few years — and also removed the restriction that it is not to be used in IMC.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

and also removed the restriction that it is not to be used in IMC.

could you provide a reference? Would be interesting…

EGTR

http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic33741-2.aspx

Tim is not against.

Boing probably prefers converting users to Foreflight.

Airborne_Again wrote:

and also removed the restriction that it is not to be used in IMC
My startup-screen says “…must never be used for primary navigation in IMC flight”. But that’s not really a restriction even for IFR. Using charts displayed on a tablet does not qualify as “primary navigation” to me.
Last Edited by tschnell at 31 Oct 15:49
Friedrichshafen EDNY

Peter wrote:

Jepp will (clearly, evidently) not license its data to any non-TSO panel product, or any android portable device

I use Jepp navdata on my GRT Avionics EFIS Sport EX, which is “experimental”. GRT have higher end EFIS models that will also show approach plates. I use foreflight, and generally like it. It has a few missing features that exist in SD, like printing route frequencies on the navlog. Thankfully Dan is willing to share his navlog when we fly together! :D

What I find frustrating is that I have to buy the navdata both for my EFIS and for Foreflight.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

@Airborne_Again
Did I remember correctly that you have been able to use JeppTC on android long after it had been phased out ?
Do you think the same could apply to JeppFD ?

tschnell wrote:

My startup-screen says “…must never be used for primary navigation in IMC flight”. But that’s not really a restriction even for IFR. Using charts displayed on a tablet does not qualify as “primary navigation” to me.

Up till two years ago or so, the startup screen had a different text. I don’t remember the exact wording, but the gist of it was that you could not use SkyDemon at all in IMC.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Did I remember correctly that you have been able to use JeppTC on android long after it had been phased out ?

Yes, I used JeppTC on an Android tablet for several years after it was phased out. In the end I gave up on it because I was stuck with the tablet and in any case, JeppTC didn’t work on more recent Android versions. (I had confirmed this while you could still get JeppTC .)

Do you think the same could apply to JeppFD ?

Hard to say. For one thing I don’t know if Apple has a system in place to automatically remove applications and if they do, it Jeppesen would request it.

Also, depending on the protocol Jeppesen uses to download updates, they could simply refuse to update JeppFD.

Sign in to add your message