Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Jeppesen Mobile FliteDeck will be phased out

Good news !

airways wrote:

Jeppesen Europe confirmed me that the cancellation of JeppFD is off the table.

That’s really great news. My renewal just came up and I’d have to decide in a couple of weeks whether to cancel (most likely) or not.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I wonder if that means they will fix long-standing bugs I reported…

ELLX

In the JeppFD app, they now talk about the end of 2023…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They are talking end of January 2024 now…

In the meantime the price of data renewal went up to + 1000 €. I did a fast simulation and apparently Foreflight + Charts would be cheaper.

EBST, Belgium

Well, very reluctantly, I have now for one year subscribed to Foreflight, to use it essentially as a Jeppesen Chart Viewer (my dad in particular still likes to have access to the Jepp VFR airfield charts for all of Europe).

I went for the Pro Plus option, to get the geo-referenced charts option. The performance model is really a joke in that version though. Would never use it for anything serious.

The cost (including FI rebate and including the Jepp VFR charts for all of Europe) is 290€ a year. A bad joke really, but it still happens to be a little bit cheaper than the previous subscription for the Europe VFR charts for Jepp Mobile FD.

Wanting to use the Jepp charts in flight now means I will have to toggle between FF and SD, in critical moments the flight. But tbh I had that previously too, with SD and Jepp Mobile FD.

FF remains a poor product for VFR in Europe. Some American thing that has never been fully Europeanized (still shows terms like „Flight Service“, „SUA“, etc). The VFR mapping remains particularly poor.

I will still play with it a bit this year, but then likely drop it again once my father quits flying. There really is a world out there (both VFR and IFR) without Jeppesen charts.

This now appears on the Jepp website

JeppView for Windows will be retired in May 2024. ForeFlight Web will be the supported chart viewer to replace JeppView. Please contact the ForeFlight team ([email protected]) to setup your account.

Jeppview is not JeppFD but the database is identical, so maybe Jepp are trying to get everyone to move to Foreflight as the sole way to get Jepp terminal charts?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

FF remains a poor product for VFR in Europe. Some American thing that has never been fully Europeanized (still shows terms like „Flight Service“, „SUA“, etc). The VFR mapping remains particularly poor.

I still don’t get it why you consider FF so poor but I don’t have much experience with SD (just a handful flights and some checking when others use it) and I don’t fly much VFR except as parts of Zulu and Yankee flight plans (where it serves just OK), so obviously I miss something.

Peter wrote:

Jeppview is not JeppFD but the database is identical, so maybe Jepp are trying to get everyone to move to Foreflight as the sole way to get Jepp terminal charts?

That’s what I’ve seen recently… crews use FF per SOP as terminal charts viewer.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The problem with that is that you pay for FF (the middle sub i.e. €200, no?) on top of the Jepp chart cost.

Eventually there will be no way at all to get Jepp charts on paper, other than via some ridiculous route – here.

FF is OK for VFR if you pay extra for your own country’s VFR charts. For example I have the UK CAA 1:500k charts. Not cheap though…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message