Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the signals square still a current thing in private flying?

Some weeks ago I have seen one in use in Durach:

But I have never seen one used for its original purpose. Usually they are still there but the markings for the permanent signs are extremely weathered such that is quite clear that no one uses these anymore.

EDQH, Germany

Merci gallois, that makes sense. I never thought to ask why it was in the syllabus.

My aéroclub has the (small) salary of the ‘person responsible for the airfield’ paid by the mayor’s office. Technically they have nothing to do with the club, but in reality there’s a lot of overlap. For years it was done by a semi-retired member who was also club mechanic, which worked very well. Unfortunately, however, no-one wants to do it nowadays. There’s been a few people over the last few years, all in their late teens, but none last more than a few months.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Up until the beginning of this millennium, most small airfields in France had a signal square.
And the signals were also part of the PPL syllabus.
Sadly about this time, many small aeroclubs could no longer afford permanent staff or full time salaried instructors.
This coincided with these small airfields, many of which had always been open to non radio traffic, becoming radio required A/A.
This both combined to make for the disappearance of the signal square and also to many airfields carrying the Fr only radio note on the VAC.

France

Capitaine wrote:

Zero signal squares. However, approx 3/4 of the smaller aéroclub-type fields have a tarmac or grass outline that looks like it was originally one, usually near the windsock.

Our Aeroclub has a signal square!!

…must be one of the 3/4 then…

Peter wrote:

Is PPL training done at airfields which are completely deserted? If so, how does the owner know how much money is due?

Locally they don’t bother. The fuel pumps are now self service and its not worth paying someone 15 grand a year to take a 10 quid landing fee a dozen times a day.

I’ve just had a quick look at all the airfields I’ve visited (92 in 7 countries) saved in google mymaps. The only countries with enough airfields to draw conclusions are:

France
Zero signal squares. However, approx 3/4 of the smaller aéroclub-type fields have a tarmac or grass outline that looks like it was originally one, usually near the windsock. Or they could be unmarked helipads I assume the signals square died out with VHF radios becoming standard. Funnily the symbols were in my PPL theory (2007) but I’ve never ever seen one in France. I did actually find one at Pontarlier LFSP today on google maps but it looks decrepit:

UK
7 airfields with signal squares out of 32, all smaller airfields. I’ve never used them, or even looked at them. I once I got trapped at the runway threshold when a couple of planes landed on the downwind runway, following the T and ignoring the windsock and my increasingly stressed radio calls. Apart from the T and the circuit arrow I’ve forgotten what the symbols mean. Lifted from pilotfriend:

USA
No signal square. There is often a circle highlighting the position of the wind sock which also shows the pattern, which is a really good idea. I also like it when airfields paint their name on the hangar roof, taxiway or ramp, like in Ultranomad’s photos. A clear one from Manatee 48X:

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Here in Germany the signal squares are not a requirement any more. We found that out when we had to re-certify our airfield due to a relocation of the runway in 2014.

There should be something in the EASA airfield requirements, but I have never looked into these.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

Peter wrote:

It’s like the Aldis (?) lamp

Here is some information on the operation of the lamp:

http://www.airwaysmuseum.com/Aldis%20lamp%20&%20Very%20pistol.htm

Last Edited by derek at 01 Jun 13:39
Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Peter_G wrote:

If the field is deserted, and/or even at Licensed fields which has ATC but it is ‘out of hours’, you have no guarantee that the T reflects the latest wind.
It was always drummed in to me that it is the Wind Sock which is the definitive authority.

Common misunderstanding, also with many German pilots! The landing-T does not at all say that you must land in one direction – it “just” says that you must not land in the other direction.

Therefore obviously the windsock is the the definite authority on in which direction you land if you land at all. If the windsock and the T show opposite directions, it might not be a good idea to land at this field at all – because as said: You must not land in the direction opposite to the T!

And before everyone starts shouting “safety”, there are actually sometimes good reasons. We have fields in Germany (unfortunately) where for some part of the day landings are only allowed in one direction (e.g. for noise abatement). In these cases it is actually correct that the landing T is sometimes showing a different direction than the wind sock…

Germany

I think signal squares are used at every licensed Danish airfield that does not require the use of R/T. However, I believe that the “T” is only used at gliding fields.

This one is from EKAT Anholt. I have never seen it been adjusted, so whether the square is a “current thing” I am not sure. I guess some pilots would say no.

Last Edited by huv at 01 Jun 10:43
huv
EKRK, Denmark
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message