Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the signals square still a current thing in private flying?

This reminded me of it.

I am damn sure I have seen the bits of white painted wood at some UK airfields in the last 10 years or so, but I am not sure if they were too rotten to be moved.

I think it may still be in the UK PPL syllabus.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In Switzerland it is for sure, both the square and the T.

T28
Switzerland

Smaller Czech airfields typically have them.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Gliding seems popular in Czech we should have these in EuroGA quiz, I am surprised (sarcasm) people can fly without being able to read signal squares or F214/F215/TEMSI charts

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 May 20:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

All airfields in Belgium still have them.

EBMO, EBKT

Gliding is indeed quite popular – winched, towed, and motorgliding. After all, this country has produced the most popular glider in the world, L-13 Blanik.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Peter, I think you spend too much time above and in the clouds instead of flying

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ultranomad wrote:

After all, this country has produced the most popular glider in the world, L-13 Blanik.

Indeed, most of my glider aerobatics were Neil Williams book in one hand and the Blanik in the other !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

With more airfields without ATC becoming used for training the signals square is becoming more useful than ever.

I wonder what % of airfields have them and use them?

And is there a CAA requirement to have one and/or a way of getting exempted?

If I was the “man in the tower” and I had a choice between sitting there with a radio, and having to go out in the pouring rain to lift up and move around the bits of wood every time the wind changes the runway in use, I would much prefer the radio

It’s like the Aldis (?) lamp; AFAIK most airports have one but it is not touched between the CAA inspections.

Is PPL training done at airfields which are completely deserted? If so, how does the owner know how much money is due?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message