Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New youngest pilot to fly around the world? Heading off tomorrow...

Taking the northerly route. No extra fuel tanks.

For my taste, there is a little too much talk of „breaking the record“…

Doesn‘t look like there will be VLOG, but that‘s fine, as he is flying alone and on a tight schedule.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Tough time to fly around the world in a pandemic, all the best on his trip, yes he does not have a VLOG, most updates are social media feeds

I invited him to join on a weekend trip London/LaBaule while I visited my family as things got relaxed in August last year, very nice chap and good sailing & flying crew !

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 May 23:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We in aviation should do the very same as was done in Yachting some years ago: Just ignore this “youngest” type of so called “world records”.

It’s great that young people fulfill their dreams – but it is not more difficult to fly around the world at 17 than it is at 18. And it is not an aviatic achievement at all that with 17 you can afford to pay 2 professional flight operations companies to take care of all landing and overflight permissions as well as fuel for you.

This pilot seems to be an exceptionally driven and determined young man – he does not need the “the youngest” story at all

Germany

I wish this guy a great adventure.

However, with a modern plane with an autopilot, most of the work behind these flights is organising funding and sponsorships.

Practically everyone involved is trying to sell something, or trying to get a bigger social media profile (including getting more YT subscribers) so they can sell something

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The video has been set to private. Got any other links?

ESME, ESMS

A google on “youngest pilot to fly around the world” etc digs up one Travis Ludlow. Not sure if the video was him, this looks like it is.

The original video posted above was, I recall, made by a guy calling himself the Flying Reporter, who has a lot of YT activity and is selling various mechandise branded with his logo. His videos are mostly pretty good, for those who want a taste of low level flying around the UK. He does them well; he is an ex BBC reporter so knows how to do it. I am just amazed anybody wants to buy a t-shirt with that logo on it, but hey lots of people are into lots of things. He has rarely posted – example.

The now-deleted video is also on FR’s website, missing there too.

Travis Ludlow website. A lot of sponsorship work, for sure.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes looks like the video went private (someone is spying for his copyrights in EuroGA )

There are a lot of people who flew around the world, I guess there should be something fun and different? doing it in a gyro, in microlight, with handicap, at 18 years old, Stearman or TBM makes those stories more interesting to read

The current record, in PA32 Lance

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mason-andrews-louisiana-teen-completes-record-breaking-flight-across-the-world/

I think the previous was 20 years old, he flew around the world in his Mooney (I feel miserable anytime I fly the same aircraft )

https://generalaviationnews.com/2013/07/01/young-pilot-completes-solo-flight-around-the-world/

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 May 11:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I’ll wait few years to qualify as the oldest

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Luckily, I’ve seen the video this morning before it went down. It was quite interesting. The guy seems to me like a driven and brave young man, how is very passionated by aviation. Yes, the questions if he needs a record like this (or not) are valid… but if that is his dream: Why not?! He did made a quite prepared first impression to be honest, and he seems to have a way more decent and sympathetic attitude than Matt Guthmiller for example. I wish him all the best and a safe journey.

I do wonder though how he finds so many sponsors to finance his whole trip. I wouldn’t know where to start looking for people how would pay me for such a trip.

Last Edited by Frans at 27 May 13:13
Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

I guess there should be something fun and different?

I’m thinking doing it in a straight float seaplane, but that might be too tricky :-) Another idea is to do around the world, but North-South instead of West-East, passing over both poles!

ENVA, Norway
75 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one