Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

40-50 hour tour (and getting servicing done on it)

Don’t know what you mean. You start Pilot-Owner maintenance, sign it off and up you go

I should have been more precise: a 50hr check on which some AD checks are called up (actually fairly common), or the Annual.

Or an unscheduled service action, but that could happen anytime.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Leaving Covid aside for the moment (these rules change daily anyway), I would go for ‘Grand Tour’ of Europe. Depending on season and wx, do Scandinavia – Baltics – Central Europe (Poland, Austria, Hungary) – Greece – Italy – southern France – Spain – Portugal – western France back to Blighty. For the heck of it I just planned a trip like that in SkyVector and that comes to around 6000NM / 45ish hours in a tourer. Sounds like fun! Agree w others, that it’s best done by fewer but longer legs. That’s the way I do my touring.

I should have been more precise: a 50hr check on which some AD checks are called up.

Can a pilot sign off an AD check on a N-reg?

Last Edited by T28 at 18 May 11:46
T28
Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Or an unscheduled service action, but that could happen anytime.

You ask the local shop. What do you mean that the difference from N-reg is?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You ask the local shop

At most airports, you can’t just take off the cowlings and do a service. Actually at most you can’t even obtain a bottle of oil; I have tried begging for topups at quite a few places over the years, so now I carry that on long trips.

On EASA reg the 50hr is mandatory; on N-reg it isn’t so while an oil change at least needs to be done for obvious reasons, you have flexibility as to when.

And if you get a company to do it (which is generally your only option at places where it “can” be done, due to airport rules / airport politics) they need authorisation from your CAMO. You better book yourself into a hotel, and hope the town isn’t a total dump

The lack of time flexibility on EASA-reg has been a totally serious issue for many in the past. The 10hr extension has to be authorised. One obvious solution is to not log some flights when you see this situation coming up

On how far you can get in 50hrs… You can do Greece and back from the UK, twice.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

And if you get a company to do it (which is generally your only option at places where it “can” be done) they need authorisation from your CAMO

Inside the UK, it’s a simple phone call but no idea if that will work in Greece (at least you have to add some hours for the time zones)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

figuring out the patchwork of ‘green’ countries

Ah now that is interesting. So the trip is planned during pandemia. Let’s see. You would fly to a country, sit there in quarantine, fly to the next country to sit there in quarantine again. What a charming idea.

Germany

I have resigned myself to the fact that I won’t be flying any further afield than Scotland (or maybe the Channel Islands) until travel rules are largely back to what they were pre-pandemic.

Am not messing around with tests, quarantines or any other silly rules.

Pfizer went in my arm this morning :-)

Last Edited by Graham at 18 May 15:25
EGLM & EGTN

Well, things are getting easier in EASA land. I contacted my CAMO regarding ARC review ,actually just wanted to know when they can receive me and local airport policies etc, and received the following “Regarding the Full review of the ARC on XX-BKM it is possible, due to Covid-19 situation, to delegate the physical inspection to a type licensed Part 145 or Part 66 staff to perform the inspection. I will forward you an inspection sheet” . I was also visiting our local CAA today for a different matter and they confirmed that Estonian companies can do the ARC inspection for foreign ELA1/2 airplanes that are under different CAMOs.. I’m not talking the extension,but the physical inspection every 3rd year..

EETU, Estonia

It is actually possible to drain the oil on the TB20 without removing the cowlings… I think

You need a long arm (and it’s gonna get a bit dirty) to push the hose onto the drain.

You also need a quick-release drain, not the stock drain which is not exactly safe unless wire-locked.

Not used this yet… this would be the only way to do an oil change at most places I have been to. Especially if it is windy where you are parked.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message