Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen kit for gliding - looking to borrow a cylinder

Does anyone have a small lightweight (composite) cylinder I could borrow for a week or two? I have an invitation to go gliding in the Alps and I will prefer to stay awake so I can take some photos

540 thread, unless it comes with a 1st stage regulator. I have the MH O2D2 already (2 of them actually).

The ones I have are probably a bit too big to go in a glider unless there is room in the back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have a couple of small aluminium bottles, both with CGA540 threads. One 6 ft^3 (SkyOx) and one 23 ft^3 (MH).

They need filling. You’re welcome to borrow/buy. I’m Enstone based.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

A wise idea. In aviation medicine, hypoxia is usually subdivided into rapid-onset and slow-onset, and according to the slides for the hypoxia prevention seminar recently published by the Institute of Aviation Medicine in Prague, gliding in a mountain wave counts as rapid-onset hypoxia, which isn’t so insidious but has nastier effects.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thank you.

I am still trying to find out what size cylinder there is actually room for. I might have to get something small enough to sit between my legs i.e. about 10cm diameter.

Administrator

My 6 ft^3 bottle is 80mm diameter by 330mm high to top of threads. It’s actually full at this time.
http://www.skyox.com/product/SK12-6-660062478

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

What glider have you been invited to fly? Between your leg is not usually a good location. Seldom any fixing points. Most likely location are a tube space typically fitting a GErman steel bottle near he hip of the back pilot or behind the back seat. Or in the “bagage” area i.e. over and behind the wing spars. Although that space can be limited in the case of a “turbo” glider.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I gather it would be a K21 – a popular model for 2-up gliding.

Administrator

Then the wing root storage area is a good place. ~40cm deep and 10 or 12 cm opening
The one we have in my club doesn’t have a shelf behind the spars. So direct to the control rod. But it has dimple for the bottom of bottle and neck fixation. I believe it fit german steel bottle like http://www.millenair.nl/shop/oxygen-systems/oxygen-bottle-light-steel-3l

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

I haven’t found any load cylinder as yet so was looking to buy the KF-011

KF-011 1850 11.0/311 3.62 in/9.3cm 19.1in/48.5cm

here as it might be generally useful. But it is probably too long for this glider.

Administrator

I have an AL248 from Mountain High, fits in small cycling type backpack. SW London based. CGA540 with MH regulator.

ORTAC
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message