Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New EIR pilot - prof check: how/what to train ?

I have a question for the team
I passed by EIR exam last year in June but did not fly any IFR hour (thank you COVID)…. and a prof check is due shortly
My question: what / how would you do to train for the check ?
I assume holdings and interceptions as this is next to basic flying the only items you can fly in IFR with the EIR.
How would you do that?
In CAS over a VOR with /RMK: holding practice in the FPL? Would you request an airspace block to ATC for the training ?
Any other ideas/tips ?

Looking forward for your views on this.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Don’t you have to do some general handing for EIR: unusual attitudes, stalls and partial panel…

You need to ask sector controllers for an airspace block +/-2000ft and +/-5nm when not under radar control

Are there that many people with EIR in Belgium? a friend of mine did his in France, hte hold me according to his examiner there are no more than 8 people who have it in France, besides he can’t use to fly from Pentoise on Z-FPL as it’s not allowed by ATC…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

jfw wrote:

My question: what / how would you do to train for the check ?

If you have not been flying IFR for a year, I would start by hiring an IR-Instructor / Examiner and do a “mock prof check” with him. On that flight you will figure out together what you still can do and what you need training for. This IRI will then be happy to help you to gain proficiency.
I guess that is worth the money compared to trying to train things yourself not realizing that you train them wrongly…

jfw wrote:

In CAS over a VOR

Why not OCAS? As you do not even need a VOR these days but can basically use any IFR waypoint to practice holdings and interceptions, etc. there should be space out of controlled airspace to practice…

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

I would start by hiring an IR-Instructor / Examiner and do a “mock prof check” with him. On that flight you will figure out together what you still can do and what you need training for. This IRI will then be happy to help you to gain proficiency.

Yeah I guess that would be the must usefull way to spend money

Malibuflyer wrote:

Why not OCAS? As you do not even need a VOR these days but can basically use any IFR waypoint to practice holdings and interceptions, etc. there should be space out of controlled airspace to practice…

Well two reasons for this (in my mind). In CAS separation is done by ATC and second there is not much space OCAS in Belgium…

Last Edited by jfw at 04 May 11:47
jfw

jfw wrote:

what / how would you do to train for the check ?

The same you did to train for the initial skills test?
Bring up your syllabus, go through every item and think to yourself where you’d need more practice.
I would also review air law, regulations, aircraft POH/AFM, operations manual of the ATO where you’re going etc. Don’t disregard the theory brush-up because the examiner may ask you theoretical questions.

jfw wrote:

How would you do that?

Find out what the typical EIR revalidation mission is and practice in a simulator. With a home simulator at first (keeps cost down), then before the proficiency check try to get in an FNPT II with an instructor if possible, if not in the real aircraft you will use for the PC.
Don’t forget the briefing aspects: weather, NOTAMs, mass and balance, fuel planning, performance calculations etc.

EDDW, Germany

jfw wrote:

what / how would you do to train for the check ?
You mileage may vary.
I did my 1srt IR PC last year. We have no SID or STAR at my home base, so I got away with an omni departure, an ILS at a nearby field, vectors to the local PBN approach, go missed, new vectors to the same PBN approach (in that RWY direction we don’t have an ILS). 1h, Done.
I did my 2nd IR PC 2w ago. It was essentially a repeat of the IR checkride, complete with departing one direction and joining the SID in the other for extra fun, a hold, steep turns, slow flight, unusual attitudes, partial panel, a STAR and 3 approaches. Almost 2h. I did not expect this much, but good repetition TBH.
jfw wrote:
How would you do that? In CAS over a VOR with /RMK: holding practice in the FPL?
I would use the published hold from a STAR. ATC is used to storing planes there, even if you don’t intend to proceed with the full STAR. In doubt, call the ATCC beforehand. In the FPL use a STAY.
ESMK, Sweden

Thanks for the inputs. In the meantime I successfully completed my EIR prof check.

jfw

congrats ! what was covered in your test?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

congrats ! what was covered in your test?

Vfr departure, open FPL & IFR pick up in flight
Climb to FL 60 and follow filed route
Holding at VOR
Steep turns, stalls, unusual attitudes (nose high, nose low), compas turn + limited panel
Return to departure field – cancel IFR & VFR landing

Vectors for ILS approach (emergency approach) was also on the planning but could not be done as it is not allowed for training on Sunday at the airport we were at….

Last Edited by jfw at 23 Jun 13:13
jfw
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message