Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hold short of runway

It seems to be some mistakes in the understanding of that phraseology,so the Belgian aeronautical authorities have given some explanations in this ASIL,you find it at the following address. They even speak about an English forum, but which one ? Don’t worry, It is in English …
here local copy

Last Edited by Rallye at 28 Apr 14:12
LFDU, Belgium

Their conclusion is just priceless, I had the impression “runway” = “anything after the holding point”? in some places that starts 1nm away from the centerline !

I had land and “hold short of the runway” but it was Nassau Lynden airport, the short runway had 1.5km available before crossing (more than enough for C177), the long runway was 3.5km with an A320 rolling after touch down, I doubt this clearance is used anywhere in Europe?

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 14:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Rallye wrote:

They even speak about an English forum,but which one ?Don’t worry, It is in English

Document wrote:

“(…) Maybe I missed this in training but I have never understood exactly what the ATC means when they ask you to “hold short”.
Does it mean hold for a short period of time, or does it mean hold short of the holding point. And how short is short?(…)”

The quote appears to be from PPrune in 2007!
It was Peter asking the question in 2007!! How the years pass!

Only joking! It was Pprune in 2007, but not Peter!

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 28 Apr 14:40
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Most(?) airfields now have holding points named. I assume the phraseology comes from a time whenever most holding points weren’t named so ‘hold short’ was the easiest way saying ‘as far as you want, but stop before the runway’. I can’t say I’ve ever personally witnessed it causing any issues, but presumably there must be enough for them to try and do something about it.

United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Their conclusion is just priceless, I had the impression “runway” = “anything after the holding point”? in some places that starts 1nm away from the centerline !

It’s not…. I don’t see what’s wrong with their conclusion?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t see what’s wrong with their conclusion?

I did not say it’s the wrong conclusion, just felt they don’t need many pages to get to there…
Something like “runways can go as far as the apron” is good enough

Ok here is a concrete example, Redhill EGKR, Runway 25/07 (it’s runway & taxiway)

I am on near H, taxiway D to my left, taxiway E to my right, where I should stop if ATC tells me “taxi and hold short of Runway 07? hold short of Runway 25”? D3, D2, D1, C1, B2, B1, A1, A2, H2, E1, E2

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 15:39

Where actually is Rwy 07 on that chart?

France

Rwy25/07 is the small taxiway straight portion between D2 & B2 (an unlicensed runway to be used when grass runways are waterlogged )

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Apr 16:01

But that says 08H and 26H. I have never come across an H Rwy
R. C. L occasionally but that is my first H

France

Okay, found it. I would imagine that hold short of 07 means at D2.
But are there many runways in the middle of a taxiway?

France
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message