Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First solo in 2.5 years. Great to be back in the saddle!

Due to previously unforseen circumstances (being made redundant and going through a career change) flying had to take a back seat for a while due to the obvious: money. Not flying at all in what could have been years wasn’t an option, so I joined a gliding club for some comparatively bargain flying until I could afford to get back behind a cash-to-noise converter. Over the last few months I’ve managed to save up enough to revalidate my SEP rating and (hopefully) last me through a summer of flying.

The gliding club also has a DR400 for glider towing and a DA20 Katana for powered flying training. The Katana, though underpowered, is fortunately very well priced. The availability is also the best I’ve ever seen at a club of any kind!

So In March I finally got back up with an instructor for a few hours of refreshment. SEP signed off and I couldn’t wait to get back up in the air alone. Unfortunately a tech problem meant I had to wait another two weeks before taking her up myself.

So todays sortie was just a local flight from EDLF to get used to the aircraft and gain some confidence and comfort. Nothing too challenging: some navigation, VOR tracking, a controlled airspace transit and two touch and go’s back at base.

I’ll let the photos do the talking. Sorry for the quality/reflections. Flying obviously takes priority.

Niederrhein EDLV with stored aircraft in the distance

Rain/Sleet showers in the distance

Downtown Essen in a shower. Hardly noticeable from the aircraft.

Beautiful countryside south east of Essen

Antenna listed as 1782ft, 2nm north west of the BAM VOR

Schloss Benrath

The Rhein

The Rhein looking north towards Düsseldorf

Downtown Düsseldorf and poor altitude holding…

Downtown Düsseldorf

Zone transit no problem at EDDL. In 10-15 minutes on their frequency, I heard one commercial departure and one SEP departure.

Back at base

A celebratory “beer” and the 130th hour in my humble logbook…

Next: Paderborn EDLP on Sunday to meet a friend for lunch.

Thanks for reading!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

Congratulations!

Germany

I rented D-EZIC at EDLE 20 years ago. It’s still looking great!

EDLE

Very glad you’re back in the air. Keep it “up” !

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Congratulations to both your obviously successful career change and being back in the air!
I grew up in Düsseldorf and flew in Essen & Krefeld, so it’s nice to see some pics from the old home turf :-)

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Congratulations! I think I can estimate how it must have felt. If all goes right, I shall have my first flight in 9 months on thursday…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Well done! I enjoyed reading this, and there’s some good photos too.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Well done. I’m in a similar position in that it’s been a couple of years since I flew but hoping to get current again soon.

Forever learning
EGTB

Well done!

I myself have been grounded for five months for annual maintenance, slow-fashion…legal to fly again but three ldgs before taking pax. I never had a period inactivity longer than 3 mos in the past 20 years. Other than taking a safety pilot, any advise from forumite expertise for getting back airborne?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Well done NinerEchoPapa and thanks for posting the trip report which will be inspiring to many others in the same situation.

And there are many, currently…

any advise from forumite expertise for getting back airborne?

Just pick a nice day, jump in, use the checklist 100%, and enjoy yourself Exercise all aircraft systems to make sure you know them. But you will be fine, after so many years of flying…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message