Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reporting an airprox in Europe

Never really thought about this much before, but …

I know the UK has an Airprox reporting system.
:- call or use an app, letter…etc

….What about other countries??

I had an Airprox in Germany at the weekend and my limited google skills find german reports, but not how or where to file one.

Regards, SD..

It should be described in AIP ENR 1.14.

So for Germany, Fax: +49 (0)6103 8043-205 or E-Mail: [email protected]

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
ESME, ESMS

LBA Occurence Reporting

Reporting in different categories possible. In line with EU regulation.

Now we are curious… ;-)

EDM_, Germany

NF-2007

Or rather electronically as described in the pdf. Also described in AIP ENR 1.14. But how a foreign citizen is able to fill out the form electronically is not clear to me. You need to log in, and only a Norwegian citizen can do that.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Try the national CAA website. It’s usually on the frontpage.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Soooo… its been about 4months since I filled out the LBA airprox forms & Emailed it off to the address stipulated.
Should I expect a response of any type? A confirmation of receipt? Any interaction from the LBA at all?
Has anyone else here any experience of what should happen?

For anyone wondering why I bothered, the circumstances (in my view) were such that lessons might be learned and its why I made the effort.

Regards, SD..

I never received any confirmation, I repeatedly called the BR employee tasked with following up the incident but unfortunately he knew the other pilot in a personal capacity hence the whole situation was eventually swept under the rug; later, I met said employee and asked him why, he claimed it was because there was no proof of the incident – except from my statement, the statement of the Flugleiter and the fact that the AIP said no flying over the city at less than 2000 feet – the incident happened on short final when a motor glider shot through my final about 300 feet AGL.

He claimed that Langen Radar traces showed no record of the aircraft conflicting – which proved that the intruder was flying in contradiction to the AIP – and when I asked him to check with Dortmund, he refused – after all, the only reason I knew the other aircraft was there was because his transponder was being interrogated…

YMMV….

EDL*, Germany

skydriller wrote:

For anyone wondering why I bothered, the circumstances (in my view) were such that lessons might be learned and its why I made the effort.

In any case there will not be a public investigation of the event nor a public incident report if no airliner was involved. Therefore if it really is about “lessons being learnt” and not about “I want this guy to be punished” the energy might be better spend to write a “what I learned for flying from that” report for an aviation magazine rather then trying to chase the authorities after the other pilot.
Towards the authorities the other pilot will deny everything (who wouldn’t) and as Steve wrote typically it is hard to find true evidence. And if it is VFR it is even theoretically hard to find evidence as there is no minimum distance between two VFR planes defined – it is perfectly legal (though not wise at all) if I pass by just 20 feet below you…

Finally: Don’t know how it is handled in other countries, but in Germany not only in aviation it is absolutely normal that you do not hear back from what happened with an official complaint as long as you are not an aggrieved party. If police doesn’t need you as witness and it did no harm to you, they will never tell you (I believe they are even not allowed to tell you) if they prosecuted the driver you accused of driving under influence.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Towards the authorities the other pilot will deny everything (who wouldn’t) and as Steve wrote typically it is hard to find true evidence. And if it is VFR it is even theoretically hard to find evidence as there is no minimum distance between two VFR planes defined – it is perfectly legal (though not wise at all) if I pass by just 20 feet below you…

It’s not that there was no proof, nor could be deny it – after all, the Flugleiter saw the incident and through binoculars noted the registration. On being called over radio, the pilot then responded and again, didn’t deny what he’d done, didn’t even seem to understand he’d caused a very close miss; on his statement over radio and repeated to the BR, he claimed that, as an instructor, it was his DUTY to practice low flying – even if on this occasion it meant flying unannounced straight through an active final. The eventual cause was that he had departed a runway 10 miles away, using runway 26; we were on runway 06. He assumed that I would be on the same approach and positive bias meant that he assumed that, even though I called downwind, base and final 06, I would be coming from the other end. That’s the reason why. The fact that he was ignoring the AIPs which clearly states no flying over the city in less than 2000ft MSL was also ignored. So evidence enough was there, it was just the person chosen to investigate knew the other pilot personally and hurriedly closed the case before his friend was facing criminal charges because what he did was reckless in the extreme…..

Edited to add, a couple of years ago I did a night flight to look at the Harvest Moon – you remember the bright pink moon? Well, due some fairly low clouds, I decided to fly at night above the layer to get a better view and on returning, whilst on the approach into EDLP, I was dazzled by a laser pen. If you’ve ever had this experience, you’ll know how disorientating it can be.The whole incident was recorded by my GoPro, the location of the pen could be identified +/- 20m, it was reported to the police, footage was handed over but unfortunately, again, I never heard anything back. As the GoPro had GPS position recording, I would have expected the police to be more active but nothing came of that either…..

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 24 Feb 17:09
EDL*, Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message