Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Converting Enroute IR to Basic IR (EIR to BIR)

Why you want BIR? don’t you have already enough PIC IFR hours on EIR? I am sure you can find a place to clock 10h on aircraft for CBIR? I doubt BIR would be less?

The only advantages BIR vs CBIR is 1/ one revalidation with IRI (one out of two revalidations is done with an IRE) and 2/ easy to fly multi-engines IFR (whatever people tells you, you do not need anything other than your BIR & MEP but some MEIR appreciation is healthy )

In terms of the effort BIR/CBIR from EIR well not much unless you are doing BIR in your own glasscockpit aircraft & airport with ILS+RNP, if you have to learn new aircraft and go to other airports, you will get past 10h quickly

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 May 12:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Why you want BIR?

Well I do not “want” a BIR. I am looking at the differences and drawbacks between BIR and CB-IR knowing that these trainings are not widely provided in BE…
I got a quote with the hypothesis that EIR → BIR would take 20h.
For the CB-IR I have no feedback at all yet.

Just wondering how much time I can expect and the advantages/disadvantages from the one vs the other. I also assume that I got exempted of TK test as I have the EIR.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

For the CB-IR I have no feedback at all yet.

After you’ve logged the right amount of PIC hours for CB-IR, it takes 10+hrs at the ATO to complete it.
BIR got no mandatory hours…
Or you could do the other way around – get your BIR, and THEN fly the hours and a conversion to CB-IR (which does not require min 10 hrs).

EGTR

I got a quote with the hypothesis that EIR → BIR would take 20h.

From EIR with TK in your pocket, the CBIR & BIR initial would be the same, the only difference is for revalidation and multi-engine

PS: there is difference in DH minima (if instructor can’t teach 200ft DH better find a better one) and visibility minima, I am not aware of schools that runs actual training with 400/550m-1500m? other than some ATO in Brest, so no idea who come up with that restriction?

arj1 wrote:

Or you could do the other way around – get your BIR, and THEN fly the hours and a conversion to CB-IR (which does not require min 10 hrs).

Do I understand correctly that you can got from BIR to CBIR without additional training given you have enough IFR under BIR ?

Ibra wrote:

the only difference is for revalidation

Do you have the differences on top of your mind ? (to avoid looking in the depressing regulations ?)

jfw

jfw wrote:

Do I understand correctly that you can got from BIR to CBIR without additional training given you have enough IFR under BIR ?

Yes, if you have BIR + 50hrs IFR PIC XC, then all you do is a skills test for CB-IR, and that is it.

EGTR

jfw wrote:

Do you have the differences on top of your mind ?

You can re-validate,
1) Once in two years with IRE (or CRI with IR re-validation add on) and in middle with an FI-IR (or CRI+IRI)
2) You re-validate BIR/ME with IFR flight in SEP (just like on FAA IR or UK IMCR)

For the latter, you still need valid MEP and one one-off test with asymmetric flying with IRE+CRI/ME

In my neck of the woods that avoids pouring 1600euros every year to keep IFR legal and valid on SE & ME…if one has a sim at home, keeping currency for IFR in SE & ME is not a problem and IFR skills are easily transferable between SE & ME, otherwise FAA would have banned it for US pilots re-validations, before anyone gets twitchy on having two engines while inside clouds, I have been flying DA42 IFR on IMCR without holding MEIR, I have not fallen out of the sky yet !

Passed my skill test this week. I took some time but I eventually managed to finish the CBIR course between the different availabilities (mine, the plane, the instructors) and the weather in winter it took nearly 1 year but it is now over. Yet waiting for the papers to arrive.

jfw

Congratulations!

EHLE, Netherlands

Congratulations jfw!

I did wonder what all the EIR holders would be doing. I guess your conversion reduced the EIR population by about 50%

I wonder whether @Cessna777 did the same?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message