Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Las Vegas International, McCarran uncontrolled due to Covid.

Ramp = only the gate area.
Taxiways = Ground = ATC

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Ramp = only the gate area.
Taxiways = Ground = ATC

I know that. That wasn’t my question. I know that “Kennedy Steve” asks if the aircraft is “cleared into the ramp”, but of course — as you say the ramp doesn’t have ATC — it isn’t a clearance but a permission. From a practical point, though, there isn’t much difference. So I’m still surprised that the permission to enter the ramp isn’t relayed by ATC.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 Apr 10:12
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I see. Yes, I guess atc could coordinate it all, with increased manpower. I think in europe it’s done that way.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 05 Apr 11:09
always learning
LO__, Austria

Pilots get clearances via automation or contacting ATC. If there is no ATC operating clearance delivery or ground control or tower, then the pilot would contact departure control. It could be handled by existing airport frequencies if departure control could use the tower/ground/clearance frequencies remotely, but the taxi and takeoff is on the pilot using the CTAF frequency. So there won’t be any taxi, takeoff, or landing instructions or clearances. The airliner is going to need a release before they taxi onto the runway or if landing, they will get an approach clearance. Those instructions will come from departure control, who is in effect controlling the takeoff and landings, while pilots self announce taxi, takeoff, and final approach.

KUZA, United States

Just to give you an impression on how much air traffic has declined: earlier this week I flew our C210 into KLAX.

A few years back now (2004 or so) I took my 182 in there a couple of times, since it was just down the road from a customer I was visiting. It was a very pleasant experience. Once I went in VFR and flew a normal pattern for 25R – they slotted me into a gap. The other time was IFR, they sent me to a hold and I figured I’d be there for ages, but they cleared me back in almost straight away. Taxiing was fun, alongside 747s. There was no avgas and only one FBO that would handle me, and they hid me practically in an alleyway I guess so nobody could see me.

(Now I would go to KHHR just down the road, but I tried that once and pre-Uber it was a big problem to get anywhere).

LFMD, France

I’ve flown into KLAS a year ago on a diversion from KHND (I assume that’s what you mean @johnh – Henderson) as a dust storm had kicked up and it was blowing 50 kts across the runway there. Atlantic did have Avgas and they parked us in what I guess must be the same alley, LOL !

However, while it’s great that in the US you can by and large go into all these major airports in a SEP be aware – most of these places don’t have any A&P who can work on a piston. One guy from our club found that out the hard way at KLAS. He had some sort of engine problem (very minor, can’t remember details now) and had to get an A&P from KHND. The travel and wait time cost him more than the actual repair.

I really did mean KLAX – Los Angeles. I’ve been into KLAS, a long time ago. I was in a rented Cirrus SR20, which is a terrible airplane for anywhere less flat than Holland. It struggled to get over the Sierra Nevada, and struggled to climb out of KLAS in 110+°F temperatures. Since then I’ve used either KVGT (North Las Vegas) or KHND. I remember flying into KHND in the dark once (VFR), which is terrifying since you know the terrain is down there but you can’t see it.

By the way bonus question: what is the IATA code (it does have one) for KHND? And why?

LFMD, France

HSH… Otherwise you might be flying to Japan by mistake You still have to be careful using e.g. ForeFlight. I figured that out when the magenta line veered off in completely unexpected direction.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Apr 01:24
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message