Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory / minimal IFR equipment for Europe

Who decided that placard?

The POH should include pictures of all required placards per the TC. If this one is not listed there, who put it there? Maybe the DGAC, as a condition of acceptance on F-reg, but on what legal authority?

A 172 is obviously not limited to VFR. Were French-made Cessnas limited to VFR? That would be dynamite

Icing conditions; that’s different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know some are approved, I don’t understand.
The plane has its original 1973 F-reg (never left France).
Will check the POH when I can.

LFOU, France

Normally, if there is no VFR-only limitation, then you just need to install the equipment

• required by the POH for IFR (or night VFR)
  • required by the airspace owner for IFR (which will be different for OCAS v. CAS v. altitude bands, etc)

I would put money on this VFR placard being a bit of “private enterprise in the DGAC” decades ago, with no legal basis, unless French-made Cessnas really had this, in which case this is, ahem, dynamite, and I would think a lot of electricity got used up powering the hair dryers to remove that sticker on all exported planes, but France has cheap electricity

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

The plane has its original 1973 F-reg (never left France).
Will check the POH when I can.

Was it factory equipped for IFR or not? If the particular aircraft was only VFR equipped when delivered, then the placard may well have gone with the equipment. The type certificate should be the final authority.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

TCDS, POH/AFM and STC/AFMS should have the list of cockpit placards, the rest can be safely removed or hidden by duct tape curious where does it come from?

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Oct 21:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

AA, you are right I guess. It was never equipped for IFR.

LFOU, France

Looks like the airplane is not airworthy at all because it has a placard that is not in line with the POH ;-)

But wait! You said the placard is over the baggage compartment? Unusual place for an “official placard” – might be, it’s only a sticker and therefore completely irrelevant …

Germany

In part NCO under the MEL section, doesn’t it actually say that the aircraft should be placarded with regards to its MEL which should not be any more relaxed than the MMEL.
In other words if there are instruments which are long term unusable or if they do not exist for the type of flight to be undertaken, the aircraft has to be appropriately placarded. I don’t think it matters who puts the placard on. IIUC if the appropriate equipment for an IFR flight was installed and certified/approved by the competent authority, then the MEL and the placard can be altered to include IFR. It may also be necessary to get the MMEL changed as well, but I am not sure about that.

France

gallois wrote:

In other words if there are instruments which are long term unusable or if they do not exist for the type of flight to be undertaken, the aircraft has to be appropriately placarded

Something like “NOT APPROVED FOR IFR” may not fall under appropriately placarded it has to be more specific? if some specific instrument do not work you put “VOR INOP” (that does not make the aircraft unusable under NCO for IFR, you can pretty well fly it IFR on GPS and VMC navigation as backup)

An appropriately placarded aircraft would means something like “THIS MOONEY NOT APPROVED FOR AIRWAYS IFR FLIGHTS IN UK AS ADF IS INOP (THE ADF IS NOT REQUIRED FOR IFR IN CLASS A UNDER NCO BUT UK AIP USED TO REQUIRE IT UNDER OLD NATIONAL RULES AND WE BELIEVE YOU SHOULD STICK ONE, SINCERELY)”

What I understand is when you buy fitted as “VFR only” then import/register, it will have those placards, to remove them you need to get your NAA green light, if the aircraft was factory fitted for IFR and along the line was placarded by a savvy engineer or senior pilot due to change in the rules (e.g. PBN GPS, ADF, two 8.33khz radios, FM immunity…), you can just remove that once you fitted the required equipment

What navigation equipment one needs to fly IFR off-airways and outside controlled airspace in VMC? (ofc useless form of IFR flying but I am curious about the legal answer under NCO outside PBN airspace )

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Oct 08:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“What navigation equipment one needs to fly IFR off-airways and outside controlled airspace in VMC? (ofc useless form of IFR flying but I am curious about the legal answer under NCO outside PBN airspace  )”

Isn’t that what you are supposed to have in your MEL?

France
Sign in to add your message