Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Autorouter issues and questions (merged)

but…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s not easy to decipher such long description.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

More to the point… nobody is going to even try to maintain a database of that stuff. But somebody may rely on this info – because it is presented.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But somebody may rely on this info – because it is presented.

I got your point but it would be unwise not to check AIP before flying somewhere. And, like in any other case of conflicting Information, one should rely on AIP and NOTAM, rather than on some portal or software presented info.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Honestly, I have seen people ask in FB if they can fly to some UL grass in Danemark from UK with someone telling them yes they can as long as they have ModeS & 8.33khz & PLB I would take a “NO C&I at LFRK” as a good result of automatic parsing that funky AIP entry, especially with Shengen suspension…

Reading it’s “30kE fine & 3 years prison” is enough for me to run away !

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Aug 09:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Indeed.

But why does anyone carry this absolutely critical information on a free site where you aren’t employing anyone reading the AIPs for all of Europe every time they come out? Under pressure from users I guess. I was told the huge briefing pack was designed specifically to satisfy even the pickiest German airport policeman

We got criticised over our Airports Database not having stuff like runway lengths… but anybody who even tries to keep this kind of stuff current is going to lose the will to live. And that’s before getting all the complaints from pilots who relied on it and got caught up with some of the nastier stuff like the above LFRK PPR.

The Autorouter is a great tool but if I was running it I would strip all that stuff out.

There is a lot of funny stuff posted on FB, like “how do I fly to Blackbushe”

Reading it’s “30kE fine & 3 years prison” is enough for me to run away !

Well, I would get it in writing and record the radio on the way in

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But why does anyone carry this absolutely critical information on a free site where you aren’t employing anyone reading the AIPs for all of Europe every time they come out?

Because it isn’t absolutely critical information. For people, who are at flying level that they need AR, is pretty obvious which the real source for such information is and where to find it.

BTW the information above is technically correct – immigration isn’t readily available because the airport isn’t on the list of the international airports (I’m pretty sure AR uses different sources to collect this info) and then there’s exception of availability O/R.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi All,

Anyone else use AutoRouter and apply GFS wind forecast? Are the flight times given to the final fix of the STAR?

For example my flight from EGSG to EDDL is giving me 2:29h for Friday (If that’s what I fly). The last waypoint is LML before flying the LMA9X

Does it take into account the STAR? If not then in my fuel calculations, I’d add 10-15 minutes depending on how busy expected aerodrome is at that time and if you fly the full RNAV procedure or not?

I’ve built an iPad EFB using excel and use the AutoRouter flight times for my fuel planning.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie post moved to existing thread. We had dozens or hundreds of threads on the AR and they were merged some years ago into this one, and this old one which AFAIK nobody maintains anymore.

I use the wind forecast. However the wind calculation, and the aircraft perf model, are so imprecise it does not make sense to ask whether the STAR is included

If you are really working your fuel to within 15 mins, it won’t be long before you join the long line of twins lying on the seabed on the way to Jersey

Administrator

Peter,

Not a problem. I was thinking to add into this, but didn’t want to resurrect, but if you prefer, no issues.

I’ve now got a very accurate fuel burn model that I’ve created using the performance charts and based on the flights I’ve done so far. I.e. worst performance (500FPM climb) and (500fpm) descent etc included. I just need something that gives me very accurate flight times to then place in the calculator.

Foreflight or SkyDemon are the best ones to use for flight times?

Peter wrote:

@pilotrobbie post moved to existing thread. We had dozens or hundreds of threads on the AR and they were merged some years ago into this one, and this old one which AFAIK nobody maintains anymore.

I use the wind forecast. However the wind calculation, and the aircraft perf model, are so imprecise it does not make sense to ask whether the STAR is included

If you are really working your fuel to within 15 mins, it won’t be long before you join the long line of twins lying on the seabed on the way to Jersey

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message