Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel icing and precautions

Well the ceiling will be based on the temps of your fuel tanks not even a pre-heat for diesel?

I recall DA40 had limits on takeoff > flight and pre-heat on left tank and you transfer that to the right tank which is the only one feeding, it’s an ugly design with tough choice between max fuel imbalance (10usg) and min diesel temp (-5C), away from the ground, I did not care about max fuel imbalance the aircraft field fine better have all of it warm & available, landing with an empty wing does revive a tiny tailwheel feeling

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well, the fuel pump does heat up the diesel somewhat, but I’m not sure if that is intentional or just a residual effect.

EHTE, Netherlands

loco wrote:

Last year at Roskilde a fueling person would not go near aircraft once I pulled out the can. Had to refuel myself. Company policy he said.

Experienced the same thing there this summer ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

@Peter wrote

I have never used Prist/EDME but carry 1 or 2 1-litre bottles of IPA and throw half a litre of the stuff into the tank while it is being filled, if I am refuelling from a place where the stuff may have been sitting for a long time.
IPA should be completely safe and doubles as a handy degreaser.

You probably don’t mean the beer? :)

What is IPA in this context?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I was wondering how fast the temps drop in a fueltank at say -20C OAT.

I’ll note it on the next flight if I remember. After 3 hours at -45C the underside of the wing is iced up when on the ground again if it’s at all humid. So the fuel is well cold soaked…

always learning
LO__, Austria

Anybody have a list of OEMs that produce

PRIST
and
TKS

?

Not distributors, but producers.

always learning
LO__, Austria

IPA = isopropyl alcohol
Buy it on Ebay for peanuts.

Used it heavily in CV19 times, to wipe door handles and everything else, although not so much now, with the vaccines available.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IPA = isopropyl alcohol
Buy it on Ebay for peanuts.

Ah, got it thanks. And you add it to your Avgas to prevent freezing ice crystals? No worries it can harm anything?

Same positive effect with JetA or different?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I think it depends on the fuel system. In the DA40D as Ibra has written there are minimum limits to the start up temperature. But once the engine is running it takes fuel from one wing tank to the engine, the unused fuel from the engine returns via the other wing tank and transfers some of the heat from the engine (like a heat exchanger) to that tank before returning to the original tank. So whilst there are initial minimum limits (diesel is has a higher minimum than Jet) once under way it would have to be very cold to affect the operation of the fuel system. I may be wrong but I don’t recall reading a minimum in flight temperature limit in the POH.

France

I don’t understand using diesel in CD or AE engines. Jet A1 is cheaper, wider available at the airports and more suitable for aviation use.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message