Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Rimini in Italy

Hi,

I was thinking of flying to Rimini (LIPR) in the future from southern Sweden (ESMS).

I'll be flying IFR, probably one stop in Germany or other suitable airport. Probably a DA40 TDI. Fuel might be sufficent for one leg (Jet-A, but i'll have to calculate on that), but 5-6 hours might be to much without a break.

Any suggestions for this trip?

-Any good and smaller IFR airport on the way to eat and refuel?

-Any better or smaller IFR airport near Rimini?

-This will probably be my first IFR trip south of Sweden so any suggestions and advice are welcome (I'm pretty new and unexperienced IFR pilot) :)

Thanks in advance

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Good stops near your direct flight path would be Straubing EDMS and Salzburg LOWS.

Here's a valid IFR routing with a 3.7% overhead between ESMS and LIPR:

SALLO M736 PEROM M736 KOMOX M736 LEGSA DCT BIGTI DCT NASMI DCT RIMKO DCT SUKIP DCT BUROK DCT LORBO DCT NOTGO DCT GOLAT DCT URONA DCT GRW DCT HFX DCT EVIVA DCT DMS DCT TULSI/N0133F140 M736 BERAS/N0126F160 M736 LIZUM N503 LIKDA N503 BAKOR N503 VESAL N503 LAMPO/N0133F140 N503 ROKIB Z906 LAPAB Z906 CHI/N0138F090 L612 ARDAM L612 BELOV L612 AMLON

In case you don't have/don't want oxygen, the overhead increases to 14%:

SALLO M44 ARGAD M44 KOGIM M725 LABES M725 MASOR M725 UDAXI M725 RODEP M725 RAKIT DCT TERDA DCT FWE DCT BESKO Z36 POGAB DCT GARKI DCT BUSIR M725 HDO M725 KOMUR/N0127F100 M748 BEKVI M725 TIPRU/N0138F090 M725 VOZ M725 TABEM M725 OKF M725 LANUX M725 STO M725 DENUX M725 PUBEG M725 UMBIL M725 GRZ N737 VAMET N737 RADLY N737 ARLON N737 DOL N737 ILB M167 BUGEV M167 ROTAR M167 LILEE M167 BASOG Y941 ARDAM L612 BELOV L612 AMLON

In short: avoid Rimini (and Italy in general I would say) at least until the 25th of august (holiday season in Italy). After that, it gets much more pleasant.

LIPR definitely requires PPR (mostly for job creation) and they don't appreciate GA movements on one or two days of the week, because that's when the tourist bombers come (a bit like Kerkyra in Greece).

I haven't landed there for years; most people say it is quite OK for GA, even though there is a very recent "pirep" at www.eddh.de by someone who possibly got shafted a bit and complained about their pricing transparency. As always, when asking for a quote, make sure you ask for "all applicable charges", not just "landing fees"...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Coolfuzz, I'll be happy to assist you with tips and tricks from my flights. Perhaps Peter can send you my email address? Så kan vi även ta det på svenska :)

We visited Salzburg a few weeks ago and it's a good airport for GA. If you have the time, visit the Red Bull display - a 15 minute walk from the GAT. Free admittance.

LIPR Definitely requires PPR and they don't appreciate GA movements on one or two days of the week, because that's when the tourist bombers come (a bit like Kerkyra in Greece).

Has LGKR changed? The notam says it is a straight 48hrs PPR (was 24hrs for years)

LGKR (KERKIRA/ IOANNIS KAPODISTRIAS)
DUE TO PARKING CONSTRAINTS, GENERAL AVIATION, BUSINESS AND MILITARY FLIGHTS MUST REQUEST WRITTEN APPROVAL BY LGKR AIRPORT AUTHORITIES 48 HOURS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, STATING AIRCRAFT TYPE AND DATE-TIME OF ARRIVAL-DEPARTURE. STATE, MEDICAL AND FLIGHTS. DECLARING EMERGENCY ARE EXCLUDED : E-MAIL : KAKKKT-HCAA.GR FAX:302661045829.

Whether an airport "appreciates" GA or not, if you comply with the PPR requirement then you can go there.

Perhaps Peter can send you my email address?

Done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

DECLARING EMERGENCY ARE EXCLUDED

Great that you don't need PPR for emergencies!

Peter,

the problem in these countries is that if they say "48h PPR", and you comply with that, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be granted. They will still exercise their own "discretion", based on "capacity constraints". Just happened to me at LEAS two weeks ago.

So, these outrageous PPR timeframes are really somewhat meaningless. It's just that if you contact them too late, they simply have one more reason to say "no".

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great that you don't need PPR for emergencies!

I thought that was clever, too.

Just happened to me at LEAS two weeks ago.

What exactly happened?

LGKR is known for refusing a landing just for fun, to people who did not get the PPR, just to make the point re who owns the tarmac. But if you get the PPR and get them to fax it to you, I have never heard of a problem.

I had one case in Italy where a landing was refused (Padova) because they claimed they did not receive any of my fax notifications (I sent several, because they were not answering the phone) for PNR Customs. But I have no reason to think that had they replied to me, they would have refused the landing clearance.

My "plan" for these scenarios would be to declare an emergency, citing low oil pressure, land, take the cowling off (if anybody actually cares), put some oil in, and that's it. That's the recommended procedure for LGKR too.

these outrageous PPR timeframes are really somewhat meaningless

They are - until the very rare scenario where the airport actually runs out of parking. It's a debate which will run for ever.

One point of view is that the pilot, upon calling up at arrival is told there is no room to land and park, has to divert, which is OK because everybody needs to plan an alternate (practically if not legally). In that case no airport needs to be PPR.

Another point of view is that an "international" airport which imposes PNR or PPR must be fully and easily contactable, in English, during all opening times. An email or a phone call is no hard work really.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello!

If Rimini is too busy/expensive/complicated Forlí (LIPK) could be an alternative. With instrument procedures and long opening hours. If they are still open at all after losing all the low-cost airline traffic to Rimini and Bologna (according to Jeppesen and their website they still are, but who knows, and there is currently no jet fuel available). I haven't been there in the last couple of years, but remember it as a very friendly airport with lots of training activity going on. And some interesting almost derelict Italian jet fighters and trainers rotting in the grass. There used to be shuttle buses to the Adriatic sea.

Happy landings Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

Talking of Rimini, LIPR, I just stumbled across this recent pirep on eddh.de. Translation available on request, and I only hope the people at eddh.de don't mind the copy.

Eintrag vom 2013-08-12 ICAO: LIPR (RIMINI, Italy) Name: Peter Rieser Kontakt... Bemerkungen: war am 11. August 2013 nur zum Auftanken dort - habe mich telefonisch und per email angemeldet und auch mich auch um den Spritpreis infomiert - dann kam alles anders ... NACH 1800 LT zahlt man € 121,- zusätzlichen Aufschlag (bin um 1930 LT gelandet) auch waren die Landegebühren doppelt so hoch wie es ursprünglich im email mitgeteilt wurde (€ 78,- für DA 40) ... mit dem lächerlichen Hinweis "private is doubel" ... eine sehr teure Erfahrung - ALSO VORSICHT!!! unbedingt GENAU anfragen!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message