Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Yes yes, dear Jason, didn’t I ask for a source for it’s an ICAO recommendation ? I am as curious as you, since, again, I always learned that ICAO recognises (à tort ou à raison) three official languages, and on equal grounds.

And the key is indeed that, if one [[ wishes | is required ]] to use the radio, one had better master the language in use on the given frequency. I must admit I am slightly annoyed that this self-evident requirement has been formalised recently – a clear sign that common sense is getting less and less common.

Last Edited by at 12 Mar 19:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Learn the relevant French phrases and use them when necessary.

The danger in learning phrases without understanding the language is that you end up in the same position as the (slightly stereotype) Spanish or Italian ATCO who cannot speak any English but has learnt how to say

climb
descend
feet
cleared for the ILS
contact tower

etc.

Then when they demand that you descend from FL180 (where you are just skimming the tops) to FL170 (to allow a Ryanair to fly on your track at FL180) and when you say to them “unable to comply due to severe icing conditions below” they cannot understand it.

Unfortunately a VFR pilot doesn’t have the luxury of keeping his mouth shut if the tower controller is shouting at him in say French. One cannot (realistically IMHO) just carry on and land.

If I was going into a non-Customs French airfield, I would try to make contact with someone local and check that there will be somebody there who can speak English. But that’s just me – others prefer adventure

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Mar 21:17
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The EASA opinion on this is clear and straightforward. FCL.055 is satisfied by an English language proficiency. End of story.

If anyone is told otherwise by a national authority, I would very much like to receive chapter and verse. Please PM me.

One more person who prefers chapter and verse over common sense?
If you are going to use a frequency that is published as (say) German only, and don’t have German, who is the fool?

(( @Peter: what’s customs got to do with language issues? ))

Last Edited by at 12 Mar 21:32
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Peter: what’s customs got to do with language issues?

At every “international” airport (normally one showing as having “Customs” in the airport guides) ATC are required to be able to speak English.

I recall there are 1 or 2 French airports which this doesn’t apply to, but I think that is because the Customs capability is only part-time, and outside those hours there is no English obligation.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you are going to use a frequency that is published as (say) German only, and don’t have German, who is the fool?

But there is a big difference between ‘having German’ and having a certificate saying that you’ve got level 4 German.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Jan
Have a look here

dublinpilot 12-Mar-14 22:01 #16
But there is a big difference between ‘having German’ and having a certificate saying that you’ve got level 4 German.

I don’t think so. To continue on the example: anyone using a German-only frequency AND able to work it out will be fine. Only IF it doesn’t work out AND trouble comes of it THEN the lack of certification might be used (to good reason!) by some agent of law. Same in French, same in Italian, perhaps even same in Russian – though I wouldn’t try my luck that far, having no Russian…

And, as was already said, how do we ever get German or French or Russian language proficiency stamped on our license?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

@Tumbleweed: thanks, but after (an admittedly brief) search I found no confirmation that English has any preference over French or Russian. What did I miss?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan. What are you doubting – that English is the language of aviation? As much as an Australian I would wish it not so, it is true.

But local airfields can persist and they do. If they do, forget about regulations, you should speak their language.

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message