Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Germany is great

Having left the UK and France behind, I have to say that I really like flying in Germany. Professional, friendly people at the airports. Lots of RNAV approaches even at small airports. No stupid PPR all the time.

It is a very nice place to fly.

Currently at EDDB.

EGTK Oxford

Just to add to you list...

Pros:

-all in all, a good airfield/airport infrastructure

-acceptable landing fees (only about 6 big airports are above 100 euros)

-generally good choice of airfields

-good fuel availability, also mogas

-good ATC most of the time

-no high vis

-no overhead joins

-no booking in / booking out

-great rase of filing flight plans through central AIS office

-no flight plans for certain international VFR flights

-Schengen and EU

Cons:

-no IFR OCAS

-small airfields are normally closed and will be opened only on a PPR basis. Any flight operation requires an A/G operator to be present. Therefore, very little night flying at smaller airfields

-at small airfields you will need to radio in german (and have you paperwork in order)

-no such thing as unlicensed airfields or farm strips

-VFR approach plates come at a cost

-huge hassle with noise; huge precision called for (and enforced) when flying in the traffic circuit

-lots of bad weather

-certain big cities have no GA-accessible, reasonably priced airfield/airport nearby

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Cons: no night landing using pilot controlled lights (PCLs) at un-staffed airfields as you can do in France.

EDLE, Netherlands

at small airfields you will need to radio in german (and have you paperwork in order)

Small airfields always require local language - even in the UK!

As for the paperwork: how strict/formal is that requirement? I have fairly fluent German and have flown into German fields without any concern - was I too lighthearted?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I also understand (not from personal experience) that Germany and France are the only two countries in Europe where you get random document checks, and thus where a non-EU-registered aircraft can get busted if they don't have a C88 or some other certificate of free circulation for VAT.

German ATC has been very competent - except one funny event on the final approach into Friedrichshafen EDNY where the controller was telling me, very sternly and arrogantly, that my speed was too low and that if he hadn't warned me I would have "obviously" stalled. He obviously didn't know airspeed v. groundspeed

Of course, the massive drawback of Germany is the millions of speed cameras set to something crazy like 20km/h On my last trip to EDNY I ended up having to return a hire car to Stuttgart, 3 hrs in absolutely horrid wx, and despite best efforts went through 3 of the damned things. Time to get myself a Bolivian passport perhaps?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course, the massive drawback of Germany is the millions of speed cameras set to something crazy like 20km/h On my last trip to EDNY I ended up having to return a hire car to Stuttgart, 3 hrs in absolutely horrid wx, and despite best efforts went through 3 of the damned things.

Baden Wuerttemberg is the worst federal state with traffic cams. I avoid to drive there. There are no signs to warn you. There is a village close to Stuttgart with 3 cameras in succession. Guess what the 3rd camera gets the most hits.

United Kingdom

Of course, the massive drawback of Germany is the millions of speed cameras set to something crazy like 20km/h

+1, flew my airplane in for annual and drove to Hamburg in a rented car to drop of a friend. Received the ticket a few weeks later at my home address. Good thing though the ticket was just half of what I would have paid in Norway for the same misdemeanor.

You overhaul your engine after 12 years, pay for a CAMO+, only use AVGAS even though Super 95 would work equally well and then you don't respect road speed limits which are clearly indicated?

Note that in Germany, there is a 250kt speed limit below 10,000 feet and don't tell ATC it's ground speed versus air speed because they do know wind speed and direction!

you don't respect road speed limits which are clearly indicated?

Actually, it was reduced on a small stretch due to construction work of some sort and I didnt see the signs. 250kts I think will not be a problem with my current airplane.

What you need Peter is an American license plate. Works for me in battling the Italian system, which incorporates speed limits on minor roads set when built by Mussolini, enforced by automatic 'autovelox', combined with unenforced limits on the Autostrada. Probably works in Germany too... But how would I know for sure? :-)

Hereabouts the government experimented briefly with automatic speed cameras but removed them due to public outrage. Now you will find none.

Boscomantico, thanks for the good pro and con write up. When I someday end up spending longer periods in Germany, I'll look at ultralights as possibly the best way to maximize fun without stress and hassle.

19 Posts
Sign in to add your message