Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FLARM survey: range and antenna(s)

From here

Dan wrote:

The lower left is just the ATD-57 display of the AT-1 Powerflarm, though it could be brought to compatible EFIS or even SkyDemon via WLAN, but I prefer a separate display which is piggyback to the unit itself.

You have to have a dedicated FLARM display even if you also hook it up to an EFIS or map display.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 18 Dec 19:15
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Dan

The lower left is just the ATD-57 display of the AT-1 Powerflarm

Do you use external antennas for FLARM ?
What range to you get for Flarm targets ?

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 18 Dec 20:21

@Airborne_Again
No, you don’t have to have a dedicated display. Further details to be found starting page #29 of the AT-1 Install Manual#

@PetitCessnaVoyageur
I used to have external antennas on my present ship. Metal aircraft usually require one each bottom/top antenna. Removed them recently, and installed a flexible antenna on the post just behind the windscreen. Another one will be installed on the lower part of the engine, inside the cowling, during the coming up 100h/annual.
Flarm traffic usually visible in the 4-5 Nm range, but can be less.
Antennas and their respective location is more magic than science

But beware… heading towards the Alps today, I overtook a Mooney. Well, the guy was flying naked, no transponder, no Flarm. Eyeballs mark IV are a reliable source too

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Dan
Why did you go away from external antennas ? I would have thought they are the « gold standard ».
4-5nm is nice range, i had in mind 1-2nm actually.
Would you say antenna diversity significantly improves the result ?

I dont believe you overtook a Mooney. Mooney can’t be overtaken :-)

Hi,

Those who use FLARM, would you mind sharing the typical range you observe, kind of FLARM device used, type of antenna(s) and placement, and type of aircraft ?

Also, it would be interesting to know what kind of screen is used: dedicated FLARM screen, (Garmin) navigator, iPad, or a combinaison of those.

From what I’m said, in motor aircraft, range could barely go above 1nm, with PowerFlarm unit and internal antenna.

@balliol , from memory, used to fly aircrafts typically equipped with FLARM.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 19 Dec 07:48

Dan wrote:

No, you don’t have to have a dedicated display. Further details to be found starting page #29 of the AT-1 Install Manual#

Ah, you have an AT-1. Sorry I missed that part. With a PowerFLARM unit, you need a dedicated display.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Why did you go away from external antennas ? I would have thought they are the « gold standard ».
4-5nm is nice range, i had in mind 1-2nm actually.
Would you say antenna diversity significantly improves the result ?

My club installed PowerFLARM with two antennas earlier this year. We’ve not had it long enough for any significant operational experience, but it does have a built in range analyser. The range chart below shows that you do need two antennas and that antenna B is not in a good position.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 19 Dec 08:38

@PetitCessnaVoyageur
Yes, external antenna work best on metal aircraft. But they are a sore sight to my eyes. And sticking out in the breeze they hind my progress. And one got melted away following the install of a new exhaust muffler system… all the pleasures of tinkering on one’s homebuilt aircraft
Those Flarm antenna need line of sight, so yes diversity is required. The install manual (link in post #109) gives guidance starting chapter 4.4.2

PS
Re Mooney, u gotta be right, my eyes aren’t what they used to be, I now think it was rather a Piper Cub of some kind. Flying upside down.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

FLARM antenna posts moved here from the mountain flying thread

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use Power Flarm Core in a PA28. It is important to use dedicated external antennas and I have them top and bottom.

Range up to 10 Km but generally 5-7 Km (never much less). As gliders climb in the turn they might go in and out of range as their internal antennas are shielded.

You definitely need a dedicated display high up on your panel. When an alert happens you need to glance and see the LED display showing say 12 o clock, 2 miles. One needs to be looking out of the windows at that point, not at some i-pad on your yoke.

Having said that I also display on the i-pad as this gives extra information – ie it displays when it is not a threat and shows multiple gliders etc.

United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message