Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First longer trip (IFR & VFR)

Hi all,

I’m planning my first longer trip this summer. Mid august I would like to fly from EDLE to LELL. The aircraft is a 172M with long range tanks. I was planning two stops in Reims LFQA and Clermont Ferrand LFLC.

The trip to LELL would be IFR, in Spain we would do some VFR (mainly the missus) sight seeing. I have some questions beforehand and I hoped you guys could give me some tips:

- Refuelling: I assume it’s no problem to pay with normal credit card in France. I don’t have one of those BP cards. However, I would call the airports in advance anyway.
- Flight plan in Spain: I flew locally in Spain a couple of years ago and it was mandatory to file a flight plan for each flight, even VFR. Is that still valid? It may be a dumb question… but how do you handle it if you decide to land in an uncontrolled field like LEIG for example? Just tell ATC? File a new FP once on the ground? I still have to study the Spanish AIP though.
- Crossing the pyrenees: Our “steed” is not the most powerful, reaching FL100 is quite a pain. I was planning to enter Spanish air space along the coast.

The flight back would probably be via San Sebastian, La Rochelle, Le Touquet.

Any ideas or comments are welcome and greatly appreciated!

LEBL, Spain

What I know:

- The BP card is not very common in France (although there are some airports. The TOTAL CARD otoh is very good to have, like for the 24 h machines. Most airports accept credit cards aswell, but then you cannot refuel without somebody beeing present

- I have flown in Spain a couple of times: Flightplan for every flight, even in the pattern (that was in Malaga and Bilbao)

- Yes, I flew along the coast aswell – to Bilbao and Malaga

Alex, DO get both fuel cards for France ASAP. Opens up a whole new dimension of flexibility. You will not able to use a credit card in France except usually at the bigger airports.

See here.

I wouldn’t do central or southern France and Spain in August.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 29 Jun 19:30
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

(Thanks for clarifying this … looks like I was lucky, because all the larger airfields I was took my credit card, before I had the Total Card).

Most business aircraft have enough banknotes (either Dollars or Euros) hidden somewhere on board to buy at least one full load of fuel. It is one of the worst things that can happen to you if you get stranded somewhere because the refueller neither accepts your credit card nor any of your fuel cards (of which we have around 10 different ones). Otherwise you can hire a taxi and make a tour of all ATMs in range in order to “milk” as much cash from your bank and credit cards – and your copilot’s and/or wife’s as well – as they will yield and still only get half full tanks in the end. Been there – done it.

Anyway, I would not worry about refueling in France but rather in Spain. Even with fuel and payment pre-arranged it can take several hours until the juice is where you want it. All that time you have to wait near your aircraft in 40+ degrees Celsius…

And yes, I would also avoid overflying the mountains during summer in Spain. The density altitude can be way above your airplane’s limit.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Thanks for the comments! I just filled out the application form for the Air BP card….

LEBL, Spain

Good idea to enter/leave Spain along the shore rather than over the Pyrenees in your case.
I go to LEIG regularly because it is convenient for me to visit friends. A lovely field, no ATC, no fees, just a bunch of gliders and a ballon manufacturer, and various nice aviation loonies (like us) who may or not speak English. But the field is rather isolated so you’re basically stuck there. The FPL procedure is simple. Call Barcelona ARO on the ground to close, submit (if by phone) and open your FPL, +34 932 983 798.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

First off – I would avoid both southern France and Spain in August. Stinking hot, full of tourists and – in France – most businesses closed. Go in early / mid September, much, much nicer!

FPL in Spain is mandatory for any flight in controlled airspace. While there are some airfields where that doesn’t apply for a quick local sortie, to all practical intents and purposes every flight needs one. As @aart has said, file over the phone, no problem at all. You can normally close from the air with the airfield in sight, landing assured phrase. don’t forget to close the FPL, they will call you once overdue by 30 mins or so. Don’t ask how I know……..

I find the Air BP card is useful In France accepted at Cannes, La Rochelle, Troyes, Dinard etc.

I have applied for a total card but they wanted me to pay a 350euro deposit for the card – which can’t be used against fuel purchases, no such requirement from BP.

Have a great trip.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

@aart: actually LEIG is one of the airfields we want to fly to! Thanks for the tip regarding the FP.

As for the summer heat, I know… I grew up there :-) I just don’t have any flying experience down there and it would be so nice to fly “home” on my own!

LEBL, Spain
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message